2 lower unit vent plugs?

2013 Chinese mfg 40hp 4 stroke. Owners manual shows one lower unit vent plug. This motor has what appears to be two. What's the procedure; open both, or if only one which one?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Especially critical since there are at least two (completely different) gearcases used on this engine series.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Serial #IC 212060 three cylinder.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. Someone "thought" it would be a good idea to put a Level AND a Vent plug on the gearcase, presumably to cause confusion (as that's all it accomplished).

Ignore the "Vent" screw (change the seal, tighten it down and leave it in the future).

Use the LEVEL screw for level.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you. I had to move my boat yesterday so I unplugged both plug holes, neither is marked as Level. Vent is marked between them. I filled the gearcase until it overflowed the front plug hole, capped it off and two pumps later capped off the other plug hole when it overflowed. I figured with both plug holes overflowing I wasn't overfilling. I haven't had the boat out yet so I can drain and do it over if necessary.

I don't think that's right. Front level only I'd say.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ok... unfortunately, I can't see the nomenclature that's cast/written on your gearcase. You may find the words "FILL" and "VENT" also.

If that is the case, use the "FILL" opening as your level (TO this opening, but NOT spewing over/out).

8. Member
    Thank you. Took the boat out for about a half day. No problems, ran and shifted as usual. Checked both vent openings and they were level.