Renagade vs Raker performance

Looking for a better holeshot. Curious on what I could expect moving from a raker to one pitch higher renegade.

edit; search is great need one pitch higher for the renegade
    Last edited by Z06matt; 04-15-2017 at 12:26 PM.

2. Member
    You should get a better hole shot,especially if you can run it without the weed ring.I haven't ran a Raker in years but the earlier ones often lacked on hole shot. The newer Rakers with vent holes might be better. And yes,go up 1" with e Renegade if your rpm were good before.

3. Member
    If you run a 24 inch Raker you need a 23" renegade to keep the same rpm's because it's a four blade and you'll probably have to run a weed ring because it will vent too much. 26" raker run a 25 gade.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If you run a 24 inch Raker you need a 23" renegade to keep the same rpm's because it's a four blade and you'll probably have to run a weed ring because it will vent too much. 26" raker run a 25 gade.
    No this is not the case with Renegade props. Typically you go down 1 in pitch when going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade but a Renegade is smaller diameter than most 4 blade props. They have less resistance due to a smaller surface area and this makes them turn more rpm that a 4 blade thats the same pitch...24 Raker try a 25 Renegade

Also wanted to add that the Renegade has a smaller barrel than the Raker. If it blows out on hole-shot you will need to install a cavation ring. Some people also call it a weed ring. They come in plastic and metal. If running a direct injection motor exhaust temperature is high so get a metal one. If carburetor motor plastic will be okay.

6. Member
    my Ranger / 150 with a 24 Raker runs 5600 rpms wide open , and my 25 Renegade runs 5400 rpms wide open …… both at exactly 60 mph GPS ….tested this several times ----

also I tested a 23 Renegade and had an unbelievable holeshot , instantly up an on plane ….but didn't get a chance to open it up on the small lakes I was on ….a 24 renegade would be perfect except they don't make it …. you would get the same RPM and a great holeshot ...

but yes , the Renegade will have a better take off …even a 25 pitch

7. Member
    in my experience i always ran the renegade 1/4 inch higher than the raker.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

8. Member
    In that case you'd go up in pitch when changing from a tempest to a trophy since the trophy is smaller in diameter but blockzilla proved my point drop down in pitch when going to the four blade to keep the same rpm's.

9. Member
    too bad they don't make a 23 Raker or a 24 Renegade , I'd have one of each for my rig …lol

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I'm with blockzilla me too
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Scroll to the bottom of this link and read Raker to Bass Renegade conversion. Also note the comments above listed as tricks of the trade. This article only refers and applies to Raker and Renegade props. When talking other brands of four blade props the recommended pitch of going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade will be different. In this specific case we are talking Raker to Renegade so the test show whats reccomended...but take with a grain of salt this in not exact science that applies to every situation (remember the comments in tricks of the trade). Its just the majority of results on a Raker to Renegade switch.

http://www.boatfix.com/how/props.html