Thread: XR6 problem

XR6 problem

SN#0T542224
    I have a 2002 150 XR6. I go to launch and the motor starts right up and idles fine. I idle out to the boat lane and it gets right up on plane and runs great. Slow down and idle into a cove and fish for 30 mins to an hour. When I decide to move I pump the bulb until its hard. Motor starts right up but then idles less and less until it dies. I can put it in neutral and rev it up but when I put it in gear to idle out to the boat lane it will want to die. I have to keep giving it a little throttle to keep it from dying until I can get into the boat lane and get on plane, at which time it runs fine. Ive changed all the fuel lines, rebuilt the fuel pump, and changed the filter. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Member
    My 2003 does the same thing and I replaced everything you replaced including the bulb and it did not fix the issue, very frustrating when the motor does this (not all the time).

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LParks View Post
    SN#0T542224
    I have a 2002 150 XR6. I go to launch and the motor starts right up and idles fine. I idle out to the boat lane and it gets right up on plane and runs great. Slow down and idle into a cove and fish for 30 mins to an hour. When I decide to move I pump the bulb until its hard. Motor starts right up but then idles less and less until it dies. I can put it in neutral and rev it up but when I put it in gear to idle out to the boat lane it will want to die. I have to keep giving it a little throttle to keep it from dying until I can get into the boat lane and get on plane, at which time it runs fine. Ive changed all the fuel lines, rebuilt the fuel pump, and changed the filter. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Had a similar issue with an older motor. Could be fuel tank related, blocked vents, fuel pick up.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker320 View Post
    Had a similar issue with an older motor. Could be fuel tank related, blocked vents, fuel pick up.
    Run motor on a portable tank, best way I know of to eliminate fuel tank concerns.

6. Member
    I have same motor and does exact same thing as well all my lines and filters and plugs are all new. I was wondering maybe if it had something to do with hot foot install?

7. Member
    lake test with tech should solve this/may be needs carb and linkage adjusted
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................