Thread: Prop help

Prop help

2002 x19 200 merc. 2.5, 10" bobs action jack, 25p tempest A45, at 6" below pad top speed is 55 wot, if I raise the jack just a hair it over revs. Have tried 25 tempest plus with same results, at 3 1/2" below pad top speed is 49 mph hitting the rev limiter,soon as it comes out of the hole its hitting the rev limiter with lots of pedal left, the thing hits the rev limiter so easy it's not funny! Prop is new old stock

2. Member
    If you're hitting the rev limiter with 2 different 25" Tempest props, with a 200, with a prop shaft height at 3.5" below the pad, and only getting 49-55mph .......... prop slip is insanely high and something has to be causing cavitation. I'd start looking at the bottom of the hull for a hook, is the front of the gearcase clean, and the leading edges of the prop blades. Make sure the depthfinder transducer isn't in the way as well. Basically, ensure that water is as clean and undisturbed as possible as it gets to the prop.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Member
    Got the boat off the trailer and crap! Huge hook on the last lifting strake on driver side.

4. Member
    Well spent a few night sanding on the bottom. Hook is gone, bottom is like new again. Took it out for a test drive yesterday and it didn't make any difference. The thing just won't run! Could it b possible the owner before me put a different gear ratio lower unit on it?

What about the 2 props you have? Have they been worked, or checked out by a good prop guy?
    With a X19 and a 200 Merc, no way you should be all over the limiter at 3.5" with a TRUE 25p tempest.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

6. Member
    The tempest plus came off a buddies boat that runs great. The other I bought off BBC prop for sale forum, it's a 9 outta 10 just because it's been ran once. The boat came with a 25p mercury quicksilver prop, the boat ran the same with it.

Test a brand new or un worked propeller, and see if you have the right lower unit. I hope you dont have the SEI replacement LU with the wrong gear ratio.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
    2002 x19 200 merc. 2.5, 10" bobs action jack, 25p tempest A45, at 6" below pad top speed is 55 wot, if I raise the jack just a hair it over revs. Have tried 25 tempest plus with same results, at 3 1/2" below pad top speed is 49 mph hitting the rev limiter,soon as it comes out of the hole its hitting the rev limiter with lots of pedal left, the thing hits the rev limiter so easy it's not funny! Prop is new old stock
    been there and done that with similar boat and motor. I filled and saned nearly 30 inches on the pad covered the weld down the center then the boat would run.
    also motor had to be raised to be able to control it as it was life and death before raising motor like driving on ice until motor raised. tempest is what I had no luck
    with it. I went from 62 to 67.5 or so with this work on pad. 2.6 liter yamahah with 12" plate. fine tuning seen 70-71 when conditions were just right. 68-69
    was always obtainable. did add hydrotec parts but not much help on yamahah. am surprised it over revs with a 25 though.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs