Motor Guide hard to turn

Fished with a buddy who has an 80 MG TM on a Basscat Cougar. He had to retie and asked me to run the TM till he got finished. It was all I could do to get the thing to turn, had to put a lot of weight, ether way, to get it to turn. He said he had tried everything he knows but can't get it fixed. Any ideas, other than getting a Minn Kota, which is what I tole him to do.

2. Member
    Could be a steering cable.

3. Member
    Either a bent upper shaft, or a bent lower shaft, bad bearings, or any part of the aforementioned. If it was going both directions, usually either bad cables or a bent upper shaft. If while turning left, probably has a bent main shaft.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Either a bent upper shaft, or a bent lower shaft, bad bearings, or any part of the aforementioned. If it was going both directions, usually either bad cables or a bent upper shaft. If while turning left, probably has a bent main shaft.
    John
    It is really hard to turn either way. There is no grinding sound and it does turn when you put enough weight on it.

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Mine was hard out of the box, turned out to be a bad bearing.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67