Thread: new boat buyer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    I guess it really boils down to what kind of water he fishes. If it's small lakes & rivers then a small boat might be fine, but big lakes don't go small.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWeb View Post
    Why a minimum of 200hp??
    I just threw a number out there to get an idea for you guys...lol. 150/200/250 im open for anything.

3. Member
    I am in MN, most lakes will be less than 1000 acres....plus if im correct most lakes are 40mph limit in the twin cities area. Now throw in some options for me!

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I guess it really boils down to what kind of water he fishes. If it's small lakes & rivers then a small boat might be fine, but big lakes don't go small.

If you will only be fishing 1000 acre lakes and running not much over 40 mph you might want to think about some thing in the 18' class with a 150hp. You can get a 2 year old 18 1/2 foot boat in your price range. Take a look at a Stratos 189 vlo, Ranger Z118, Skeeter TZX 190 just to mention a few. You should be able to land a slightly used 2016 model in your price range. Or if you are really patient and not picky on colors and options you might find something someone won as a tment prize boat. Just some ideas.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ayang View Post
    I am in MN, most lakes will be less than 1000 acres....plus if im correct most lakes are 40mph limit in the twin cities area. Now throw in some options for me!
    Exactly what I mentioned earlier

What will you be fishing for the most?
    How many people will there typically be onboard?
    This a fishing only boat, or you going to tow skiers, tubes, etc.?

To give you an idea of what I do with my bass boat (18' Ragin Cajun with a 150):
    I can multi-species fish with 2 people comfortably - 3 people with more care (especially flinging musky baits). 4 people is a struggle when casting baits. Not much protection from cold weather in spring or late fall though, due to low freeboard.
    I can also tow tubes, skiers on occasion - but only if there is a pontoon or dock nearby to transfer people. Not much room to stow skis, tubes, etc.
    I can go on almost any small/medium MN lake with ease, and have been on 'Tonka, Leech, Cass, LOTW in rough weather no problem. Been on Mille Lacs in calm/moderate weather... but it's not a comfortable big-wave-day sort of boat.
    I can get in/out of almost any landing imaginable, including some horse-path jobs that I should have avoided!

I wish I had more cockpit room - ala old Ranger 690 or 681, Tuffy X-190, or Lund Pro-V Bass with pedestal seats.
    But I still want a big front deck, and the ease of a 18-19' boat for towing, moving on driveway and garage, etc. (read: no big +20' boat or tandem axle trailer).
    I don't need 200HP, I don't need set-my-hair-on-fire fast. I'd rather have more fuel efficiency and put that money to use elsewhere.

So we could make recommendations for what WE want in a boat all day long... but you need to analyze what YOU want from a boat, and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    If I had 28k I'd set 5 aside for issues and necessities you'll need. You can easily find a nice boat for that price. Buy something with a rust free trailer and tandem axles. Also try and find something setup with decent electronics. They are very costly to add yourself. But plan on needing money for things like tool kit to carry, insurance, batteries, ropes, lights, life vests, etc. all of which adds up fast. So don't max your budget on the boat then not be able to use it, it was tough for a year or 2 after my first.
    This^^^^
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ayang View Post
    So your fishing is mostly like mine. CO has a 40mph state-wide speed limit, most lakes are less than 1000 acres. I'm also a big guy (6'2 280). I didn't have your budget, but I picked up an 18 footer with a 175. Still plenty fast when I go out of state, but much more fuel efficient at state speed limits. Plus, the smaller boats are more maneuverable, and an 80lb 24v trolling motor will move it at least as well as a 36v on a 20 footer. That means replacement trolling motors are cheaper, 1 less battery to maintain/replace. Less fuel used to tow it...

Find a used 18 footer with a 150 or 175. My preferences? Phoenix 618/619/719, Basscat Sabre FTD or Pantera II, Champion 188/190/191, Ranger Z118/Z518. What I'd suggest though...find an older boat with upgraded electronics/trolling motor for cheaper and save some money. Give yourself something to learn on so you don't get mad and cuss when you bump into a stump or rock.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12