Thread: Smartcraft ?

Smartcraft ?

I have a 2002 Mercury 175 EFI that I will be installing on my boat, it has the smartcraft ready sticker on back of the cowling so I was thinking about adding this gauge. What model/version do I need and what will this system show me with my 175 EFI? Lastly is it worth the investment?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

First step will be to confirm Compatibility... serial number will help there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Oops....2002 Mercury 175 EFI # OT566138
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You should be able to utilize virtually any Smartcraft Instrument of your choosing. Your engine is equipped with Hours, RPM, Water Pressure, Engine Temp, Voltage, Basic Fault Warnings, Pitot Speed (those are the primary ones).

If you drop Rhonda an email, she can send you a list of the various systems available, and current BBC member pricing:

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Will do Thanks Don

Do these motors store hours in the ecm and send it to the smartcraft as total hours ran, or will it start out as 0.0 hours when gauge is hooked up?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

I can't answer your question, but I am really glad my boat came with it. You won't regret adding it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Will do Thanks Don

Do these motors store hours in the ecm and send it to the smartcraft as total hours ran, or will it start out as 0.0 hours when gauge is hooked up?
    Engine hours are stored in computer and displayed on Smartcraft. Won't start at 0.0 like an hour meter.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Hours are indeed stored in the PCM (not the instrument).

9. Member
    Is this a smartcraft cable? I removed it from my engine, the previous owner left it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is a 10-pin Can-P Data Cable, with terminating resistors. It is MISSING it's convoluted sleeve, yellow band, and plug assembly, however.

11. Member
    So....that means its garbage?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unless you have all of the pieces...