Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    No.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    No.
    So only other way this can be happening is a head gasket. If it was the compresser it would be putting water to all cylinders right? Or at least more than one. Where as the head gasket can be torn or leaking near cylinder 6 and only letting water in that cylinder.......right?????

3. Member
    Yes.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yes.
    Ok well I guess that's my next option. That's all I know left to do. Motor idea perfect so it must be that. Higher the water pressure worse it does. All things lead to that so if I fix it with head gasket I'll post results for anyone having this issue in the future. Thanks for the help

5. Member
    Well I replaced all orings and seals in head today and cylinder 6 is still getting water somehow. All other cylinders are dry. I can only think of one more way this could happen.....a cracked cylinder. Can I rebuild a cylinder? I have a 05 optimax 225 can I use the sleeve from it in mine? Any advice wold be appreciated as I'm super stressed and stumped

I guess you could do a leakdown and listen for air coming out of the tell tale and lower unit.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasfouraker View Post
    I guess you could do a leakdown and listen for air coming out of the tell tale and lower unit.
    When I check my compression in cylinder 6 I get 38psi and it hold pretty steady. I'm definately down in compression in that cylinder. But still can't get water figured out unless cylinder is cracked. I just wonder if I can use the sleeve from my 05 block in my 98 engine

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Cracked sleeve would be my suspicion. Leakdown test might help to confirm this, combined with VERY careful inspection of the cylinder sleeve.

Normally not cost-effective to pull sleeves from one block to use in another (use a NEW sleeve every time to avoid more problems and un-necessary expense).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Finally solved my issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a broken reed on cylinder 6. I looked in the intake with a mirror but it was under the bottom on the reed assembly and it was COMPLETELY GONE. Only piece left was where its tightened to the reed assembly. So I learned that a fully broken reed with cause a small loss in compression. I didn't realize that. Also moisture in the cylinder when its not got the needed compression. So happy its fixed finally.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What reeds did you go back with?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What reeds did you go back with?
    I used reeds from the 2005 opti I have for parts. I had one gone and one chipped. I just took the whole reed assembly out and put the one in from my 05 motor. Im gonna end up getting some carbon fiber ones now that I see how easy this can happen. I just used what I had.

I would recheck compression and perform a leak down after reed replacement to ensure no damage to the cylinder occurred from the reed ingestion. I think fiber reeds is one of the best investments in just prevention that can be performed for steel reed motors even if they offered no performance gains.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

13. Member
    I would recheck compression and perform a leak down after reed replacement to ensure no damage to the cylinder occurred from the reed ingestion. I think fiber reeds is one of the best investments in just prevention that can be performed for steel reed motors even if they offered no performance gains.
    ^^^^This is excellent advice.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    First thing I did was perform compression test. I gained compression back in cylinder 6 with reed installed. Carbon fiber reeds will be installed asap. Engine runs flawless now. Got about 4 hours on new reed with no issues. Looking back on the day it occurred I was on a really small local lake and only idled all day. I bumped motor into gear and let it idle me around. Good thing cause if I would have ran it things might have been worse.

15. Member
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!! Going through this has taught me alot about my engine. I have more confidence than I ever have now on my opti. Knowing what I done myself I doubt I'll ever take my engine to a shop. Once you start looking inot an opti it really is VERY simple design. A lil understanding and the service manual and I could rebuild one now now problem. Thanks again everyone for all the advice

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good that you've learned a lot.

Still a VERY good idea to have a set of trained and experienced eyes look the engine over once a year, and hook it up to the Computer Diagnostic System, print the run/fault histories, and verify everything is working as it should be.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good that you've learned a lot.

Still a VERY good idea to have a set of trained and experienced eyes look the engine over once a year, and hook it up to the Computer Diagnostic System, print the run/fault histories, and verify everything is working as it should be.
    Oh yeas I agree! You will be the one do it because no one in my area is qualified enough imo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123