Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have an air leak. Air pressure should remain relatively constant for 15 seconds after engine shutdown.

Also, you can't just slap diaphrams in the regulators (well you can, but they won't be RIGHT). Proper operation and performance is dependent on properly calibrated air and fuel pressures.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    I still don't understand why this happened between turning engine off and cranking back up. It was perfect all day. Turned off and then when I went to crank back up had issues. The diaphragms were put in by me and a good buddy at a place called coastal tides marine. He has the tool to install them correctly. Can u tell me why I'm seeing water in my rail? That can't be normal. When we removed the heavy spring diaphragm droplets of water were in there. Water cant be in the same place the fuel or air flows. No way it could run right with water getting in the rail like that

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Some water (condensation) is NORMAL. It's the nature of compressed air.

Straight water... as in teaspoons of it, now that's a PROBLEM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Check the diaphragms in the lift pump. I had the same symptoms on an 05 150 and it turned out to be one of the springs broke inside the lift pump and poked a hole in the diaphragm. This allowed raw fuel to go directly into the crank case. Or like Don said, one of the orings for the air injectors may be torn causing a leak

5. Member
    I just fixed my leak down. The diaphragm that has the heavy spring had small amounts of water bubbling from in between it and fuel rail. We took it off and cleanEd it and re installed. There was water in rail side of diaphragm. Even though the boat has ran good alot every since I first bought it when loading on the traileron if I gave it gas it would sputter. I watched other boats load up and they never done it. I should not have to calibrate the diaphragm since I haven't made a change and my pressure is normal. Now I'm not leaking down like before. Could the fuel cooler or whatever the tube is connected to rail be allowing water in my rail?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Air leak will cause excessive moisture.

7. Member
    How long should I be holding air pressure on this motor? After shut down will it stay at 80psi for a while or just a 15 20 seconds? Where else should I look for leaks? It still stutters on take off and only get 5000rpm at 52mph. When I had water slowly bubbling from my air pressure diaphragm I could get motor to run normal one out of 5 tries. Since I stoped the leak it won't even try to run right

8. Member
    You need hands on assistance the a Trained technician with the proper tools and instruments.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You need hands on assistance the a Trained technician with the proper tools and instruments.
    As soon as im told I can bring it in im taking it unless I get something figured out before. I called the only 3 places local to me and the shortest wait time to get into the shop was 3 weeks. That's the reason im going through it myself. learning a lot about the motor but not getting anywhere...lol. Ill figure it out in the meantime. I appreciate all the advice.

10. Member
    I don't think twice about driving 90mins one way to go fishing, and do so all the time. If Don were that close, he'd be working on my engine. Sure hope he was one of the 3 you called.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Pressure test the air side rail with a external air supply regulated @ 80 PSI. To check for air leaks and pressure drop.

12. Member
    Pressure test the air side rail with a external air supply regulated @ 80 PSI. To check for air leaks and pressure drop.
    Air goes to 81psi at idle and after shut down pretty much stays exactly still holding pressure. I have let it sit for as much as a full 2 minutes with pressure still on rail.

13. Member
    According to my mechanic at coastal tides marine here in myrtle Beach my pressures are perfect. He is telling me now that I may have an injecters clogged causing my sputter while under a load. I have 6 eXtra injecters from a running engine I'll try soon as I get home. Fuel pressure is 91 at idle btw also holding steady pressure while ideling

14. Member
    So I was just told to check my reeds and when I look down into my intake with a flashlight I can see 2 cycle oil sitting down there. That can't be normal. It's sitting towards the back of the intake closer to engine

15. Member
    Reeds look good but I removed cylinder 6 plug and it has white milky stuff on it. WATER! Now if I can just figure out where it coming from I'll know how to fix it. Already replaced compresser orings so leaning towards head gasket or whatever seals up the heads. Ideas??

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter View Post
    So I was just told to check my reeds and when I look down into my intake with a flashlight I can see 2 cycle oil sitting down there. That can't be normal. It's sitting towards the back of the intake closer to engine
    Oil in the plenum IS normal.

17. Member
    Oil in the plenum IS normal.
    No ideas on where water in numbers 6 cylinder could be coming from

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter View Post
    No ideas on where water in numbers 6 cylinder could be coming from
    Yes, cylinder head, or seals.

19. Member
    Yes, cylinder head, or seals.
    note that the water im seeing is getting into my fuel rails. when I had the leak in my diaphragm water was in there. if I had a head gasket leak wouldn't the water only get into my cylinder? seems like the water is originating from either inside my fuel rail or is being forced in there by the compresser. Note that I have already changed the orings in the compresser head. all seemed normal and I couldn't see anywhere water was getting into the cylinder of the compresser. it looked normal. u say cylinder head or seals????? what seals are you referring to?

20. Member
    One other question. I read that the port rail is water cooled. Are there any valves or orings inside the rail that could fail causing water to enter the system? I looked for a flow chart for rail but can't find one. I know there's only a few ways water can get in number 6 just gotta go through one at a time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast