Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pickwick / Wilson Spawn

Is the spawn still on?

2. Member
    yes. should be getting close to lock down. soon everything will be in different stages

I ain't seen none of it...anywhere...these fish got me so messed up I don't even know where to look anymore except up at the dam...and that ain't no way to be...I hate fishing at the dam...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

4. Member
    the ones I caught last Saturday where still in prespawn, but was up shallow. the 4.5 I caught didn't have a bloody tail yet.

I think some of them are already done and gone...a lot of them are...

Jonathan Hillstrand

I live in Corinth Generally fish from Yellow Creek area to Pickwick Dam. Two weeks ago caught some fish and a few had bloody tails Was catching a lot of pissing males also. 20-30+ fish total in half day. Was catching quite a few fish in the 3+ range with a handful over 5lbs Couldn't go for about a week or so and went back Tuesday of this week and numbers count was way down Maybe 15-17 fish in half day but had 7 over 15" with two in the 4lb range. Not a one had bloody tail. Went back yesterday and it sucked for us Might have caught 10 fish total 3 fish 15 1/2-16 1/2 " I know surely all the fish haven't spawned and left shallow water have they. Last year and this year have been the craziest Aprils I ever remember on PW. and I have been fishing it all my life
    Though I don't fish but one TX a year and it is just a little company TX from where I retired It is coming up Wed. of next week and I really haven't got much of a clue where to start that morning they have got me so confused.

I doubt all of them are but you can bet with the way the water temps have been since Feb, a lot of them are gone...

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    Thx guys. I'm fairly new to all of this so trying to learn.

9. Member
    I have fished Wilson a couple of times in the last month. Everything I have caught deep or shallow appeared to be prespawn. I haven't seen the first bed although I am sure some have spawned already.

10. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 More Cast View Post
    I have fished Wilson a couple of times in the last month. Everything I have caught deep or shallow appeared to be prespawn. I haven't seen the first bed although I am sure some have spawned already.
    +1

I've fished Wilson a number of times in the past couple of weeks, mostly in Shoal Creek and the northern part of the main lake up toward Wilson dam, and thought the same thing. I'm sure some have already spawned but I haven't seen the first bedding fish and haven't caught any quality fish up shallow. The few decent 3+ pound fish I've caught have all been in 10+ feet of water and obviously had not spawned yet.

I think with the way weather has been this year and from what I've seen I don't know that there has been or will be a definitive spawn this year. They are all doing it at different times. They are all in different stages just not a majority in any one stage.....But I could be waaayyy off, they confuse my a lot

Are they gonna come up shallow in 70 plus degree water cause the water I wasted my time in today down around Coffee Slough was 70 degrees or better and the only bass I saw in that water were about 6 inches long....plenty of water for beds, but no beds, no females staged, and no buck bass making any beds...not where I fished...maybe the further down river you might find something but for me, my 3 foot or shallower haunts for bedding fish have nothing in there...

Jonathan Hillstrand

13. Member
    Caught a smallie on Wilson today that was full of eggs. Some have some havent.

Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    Caught a smallie on Wilson today that was full of eggs. Some have some havent.
    That's the thing right there..all messed up..

Jonathan Hillstrand

15. Member
    I'm on PW practically every day. I've seen one fish on bed and zero empty beds. ??????

I finally caught a 3 pounder the other day, and the male...that has been the only one I've seen....

Jonathan Hillstrand

17. Member
    I have fished Wilson and Smith in the last 3 weeks and have had some decent fish. Not one of them have had bloody tails. I think there is still quite a few that need to spawn. Personal opinion is, we have all put to much weight in these milder temperatures but the fish still have a "time" of year to go with those temps. May be wrong but I just haven't seen the evidence of spawning fish. We did see two on beds last weekend on Smith.

18. Member
    Every fish we caught this weekend at Smith was post spawn. Skinny with sore on there tails.

19. Member
    I caught a 4 1/2 spot on Smith in the ABT Saturday that was full of eggs. We had a largemouth with a bloody tail.

20. "That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar
    Keep in mind that not every female will drop her eggs every year. If conditions don't match what she prefers, they can retain those eggs and use as fat stores for the summer. They also may not dump all their eggs at once if and when they do spawn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast