Another Panoptix day

I've been crappie fishing lately having put walleye on the back burner until they get back deep. Didn't know today would be that day. Set the boat down out in the channel near the area I intended to scan for some crappie. Water was 80 ft deep. Got all my gear ready, units all set. Turned the trolling motor to the right to scan to the bank with the PS31. The auto width on the PS30 didn't reach that far. Started idling up the channel watching the PS31 for fish near the bank. Had the range set to 100 ft. Then I kept seeing singles just off the bottom at the 60 ft mark. Unbelievable. Surface temp 62. Temp at 60 ft 50 degrees. Why they were there I don't know. The ones I was seeing just happened to raise up off the bottom enough to pick them up. On the bottom were the rest. I went over to the 60 ft mark and started jigging. Gotta give credit to Garmin and Panoptix for a really good day of fishing. Sorry guys, no pics, no screenshot. I was just fishing........and catching. Post spawn females. I'm back to deep walleye fishing and it's April. It's going to be a great year.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    Kewl. You do realize, however, that those of us who buy the Panoptix and are subsequently
    confronted by our respective 'boss', will likely claim 'the LW made me do it' in self defense ...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

3. Banned
    Nice job LW. I aint ever caught a crappie 60' down. What size jig did you use to get down?

4. Member
    Sorry, these were walleye. I wasn't clear about that. But I do catch crappie this deep. The deepest was last fall at 90 ft. My lure selection is not too diverse for water deeper than 40 ft. Colors: silver, gold, chartreuse, white. Lures: Mann-o-Lure and Rapala Jigging Rap. Weight: 40-80ft spoons 1/2 oz rapala W5 or W7, 80ft+ spoons 1 oz rapala W9.

I know the rule is Never leave fish looking for fish, but if I'm on fish and gone through the 8 selections for the depth they are at and can't get them to bite, I move on.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post

I know the rule is Never leave fish looking for fish, but if I'm on fish and gone through the 8 selections for the depth they are at and can't get them to bite, I move on.
    I have modified your rule, never leave biting fish to find fish.

I am installing a PS 21 and 30 so I will join in on the fun.
    Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
    I have modified your rule, never leave biting fish to find fish.

I am installing a PS 21 and 30 so I will join in on the fun.
    It will be interesting to see your opinion on the Panoptix. I have been running a PS31 for a year and have had a ball.
    A personal question for you if you wouldn't mind PM me please.
    Dick King long ago Mille Lacs fisherman...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azbohunter View Post
    It will be interesting to see your opinion on the Panoptix. I have been running a PS31 for a year and have had a ball.
    A personal question for you if you wouldn't mind PM me please.
    Dick King long ago Mille Lacs fisherman...
    Huge fan of the PS-30 for my walleye fishing.......

8. Member
    Those of you that are catching the walleye with the Panoptix are you catching them on lakes or on rivers? I live close to the Mississippi river and was wondering if the Panoptix might help on the river. There is a small lake that is only 265 acres and the deepest that I have found is about 35 feet deep that has Walleye in it, do you think that they would hold at that depth?

9. Member
    I don't know about river fishing. I am fishing in a deep lake. Their depth varies quite a bit in the spring. At night people catch them in a few feet of water next to shore. In the daytime I catch them 50 to 100 ft deep. Not sure what you mean when you say "do you think they would hold at that depth?" If you mean suspend, my theory of fishing is quite simple. Hungry fish are swimming fish; up off the bottom, searching for prey. They are on the move. They are not very picky. Inactive walleye usually "hold" near bottom. They are not hungry and can be real picky.

That's why I fish for suspended fish. They want to bite and I want to catch them. A win-win.

Yesterday's catch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    I'm jealous....used to be my go to fish. Not so available where I now live with out a days drive. Nice fish...

11. Banned
    Nice job LW