Removing foam: 1996 Sprint 286 Pro

I believe the foam in my 1996 Sprint Pro running along the sides of the boat is waterlogged(when I press on the factory holes towards the back the foam is wet). Has anyone removed the foam before? Any idea how far up towards the front of the boat it goes? Any pictures of this part of the boat by chance? I don't want to remove the top cap, but thought about cutting part of the fiberglass/wood away under the gas tanks and removing it through that then resealing.

Transom is solid as a rock and the boat performs well speed wise right now, 57-58mph tournament loaded in the summer and 63 light in the winter(150hp), but I thought I might be able to pick up a few mph and lighten the impact in rough water if I removed the wet foam and replace with something new. Any opinions? Worth removing or leave well enough alone?

2. Banned
    What motor are you running on there to get those speeds? I have same boat in my 94 286 Pro but no foam.....

3. Member
    1997 Yamaha Vmax 150hp, 23p 3 blade. Engine was rebuilt in early 2013 but no performance mods added. I run a pretty light load overall compared to most it seems (do have 170lbs of battery) and have messed with the jackplate a fair amount to optimize speed, ptp is around 3.25" right now I believe.

No foam? So did you remove the foam or?

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Chris, My 98 207 has no foam that I know of unless it's all under the double layer in the bilge in the pad area...i've never cut into the bilge for anything......

5. Banned
    My 94 286 Pro Tournament i know has no foam along the sides bc i run my wires for my water psi guage and gps/power cables from my controls to the back for battery. Then on the left side my cables for my trolling motor and i dont recall seeing any foam. Also in the front I has a recessed foot mount and when i took it out no foam neither.

6. Member
    Maybe I didn't describe the area well, along the sides was likely not the best term for me to use(I also have no foam there either).

Whatever the area is called below where the gas tanks sit (I have dual 17 galloon tanks) I believe there is foam? Looks to be a couple of ~1" diameter holes the factory cut and the foam(or whatever it is) has water in it.

Likely not an issue as far as I can tell, just curious if anyone has investigated or ran into this before on Sprint boats.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Are your tanks in the rear compartment?? Mine is under the seats and one single tank. I've never had a reason to go there, so I have no idea of whats there....hopefully some other 286 owners will chime in here....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Are your tanks in the rear compartment?? Mine is under the seats and one single tank. I've never had a reason to go there, so I have no idea of whats there....hopefully some other 286 owners will chime in here....
    Yes they are in the rear, forgot Sprint put them in different places dependent on model. They are right up against the rear of the boat.

9. Banned
    Yes my 286 has 2 tanks as well. My tanks are mounted on the fiberglass. I dont recall seeing any foam. Can u take some picture and upload them for reference. Thanks bud.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLifetimer View Post
    Maybe I didn't describe the area well, along the sides was likely not the best term for me to use(I also have no foam there either).

Whatever the area is called below where the gas tanks sit (I have dual 17 galloon tanks) I believe there is foam? Looks to be a couple of ~1" diameter holes the factory cut and the foam(or whatever it is) has water in it.

Likely not an issue as far as I can tell, just curious if anyone has investigated or ran into this before on Sprint boats.