Used 2005 Yamaha hpdi 175 question

Just looked at a used ranger with a 2005 175 Yamaha hpdi. The compression showed all cylinders within 5 lbs of each other (120-125 I think). This seems pretty good and the engine is only showing 170 total hours, 110 at idle and only 0.8 at WOT. It was evidently owned be a older gentleman since it was new and he babied it.

I've always been kinda scared of the first couple of years of the hpdis, but this seems like a pretty good deal with the low hours and very little WOT, but is it good for an engine to have been babied that much for over ten years?

2. Member
    I bought a 2004 Ranger with 250 HPDI last year with 150 hours and haven't had any problem with the engine thus far. My mechanic recommended having the fuel system (hoses, filters, etc) replaced, the remaining filters replaced, and injectors cleaned, before running the engine. That along with the usual maintenance...plugs, water pump and foot oil. if you've had a newer engine recently, the older engines are louder and not quite as smooth at idle as today's engines so don't let that bother you if all checks good.

3. Member
    I had the 2006 model of same motor. Sold it with about 500 hrs three years ago. It has about 700 now and still going strong.

4. Member
    Comb, how much did the fuel system work including cleaning the injectors cost, if you don't mind my asking?

5. Member
    I believe the parts and labor for the fuel system was around $350. I went ahead and got a complete tune-up which also included prop shaft seals and bearings, plugs, wires, water pump, remove and clean injectors, lower unit oil. I believe it was around $1200 when all was said and done.

6. Member
    I had an 05' 25" shaft 175 HPDI. Solid motor and pretty darn fast. I would not hesitate to buy again. Just keep the filters changed. I would also change the mystery filters, pretty easy if you take your time and follow the YouTube video. Use Pennzoil XLF or Premium Plus and Startron at recommended dosage, decarb once a year with Seafoam