Black lake campti, LA

I live a little over a hour from black lake. I'm gonna make a little trip up there sometime soon. Just curious if anyone here has fished it? Looking for some tips, every place I fish has a certain color that works better than others. Anyone know what color baits seem to be the ticket? And is the north end better fishing than the south?

2. Member
    Throw a deep diving houlapopper school bus yellow,,,,,,

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The lake is choked up with giant salvinia.....where is it at? All over just depends on where the wind is blowing out of but lake is still fishable, just becareful running thru it, best advice would be to idle thru so you dont hit any logs hiding under it or suck it up in the motor.......we had our club tourny there last weekend, and 19 lbs won it....dont know the details and where they were caught.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Black with red flake plastics have always worked well for me. Pop R's also work good but the Jackfish on that lake are horrible. I also prefer the north end of the lake.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hse87 View Post
    Throw a deep diving houlapopper school bus yellow,,,,,,
    Theres one in every crowd...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    Black with red flake plastics have always worked well for me. Pop R's also work good but the Jackfish on that lake are horrible. I also prefer the north end of the lake.
    I fish saline a good bit and usually launch at cheechee bay. Black and red is a good color in saline also. I'm gonna go try it in the morning. Thinking of starting on the south end and work my way north. Can't find a launch on google earth because the last updated imagine was back during the big flood last year. Thanks for everyone's input

7. Member
    Chris-wish I had seen this earlier. Sure you have gone to bed by now. Was going to tell you that if you were going to fish the south end, I knew of 2 ramps but don't know if either one is still open to public. For future reference, if you are going west on 84, just before you get into Clarence there is a flashing yellow light and an old package store that has not been open in years, on the right. If you turn right by that old store, you will cross where the water comes under the road from the dam on the part called Clear Lake. Just past that on the right, used to be a concrete ramp owned by a guy named Mr. Dees. When we fished there several years ago now, he was an old man so don't know if he is even still alive. If that ramp is open, you can motor up the bayou to the southern part of the lake. Where you get to the lake is called red chute. That area right around where the lakes go into the bayou usually holds fish. They can also be caught in the bayou. Haven't fished there in years though so can't give any up to date stuff.

There is also a ramp on the bayou just down stream from Red Chute. I have never launched there, but can tell you if it is still open to the public it is a narrow ramp if I remember correctly. If both of those ramps are closed now, you will have to go to the ramps around Hwy 9. Please let us know how you do.

My son fishes there and generally does well punching thru the grass with watermelon craw
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

9. Member
    What kind of fish is a jackfish? Never heard that except for Jack crevelle in saltwater.

10. Member
    Fished on the south end. Water was like chocolate milk. Lots and lots of sylvania everywhere I went. We fished a few hours and only caught one. Left there and got a bite to eat then went to cane river. I had never been there either, but ended up catching a few chunks. Cane river is by far one of the prettiest places Iv even been. Will definitely be making more trips there. Water temp was a lil higher than most places I fish this time of year but we did ok. Didn't take long to figure out they were on a shad bite.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Posiedon View Post
    What kind of fish is a jackfish? Never heard that except for Jack crevelle in saltwater.
    I think this is it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_pickerel

12. Member
    That would be the critter. Sometimes expletives are involved if I hook one.

13. Member
    Black Lake is horrible from Salvania. There is some toads in there but you can't get to the good water these days

14. Member
    I'm scheduled to fish an ABA tournament there the end of the month. I hope we can find some water. Is the salinia worse than last year? I think it took like 26 pounds then.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    They have been spraying it....

16. Member
    No that not a jack fish u look at barry

17. Member
    That's what we have always called a jackfish.

Chris and others...not sure if it is still in effect or not, but several years ago, you had to have a city permit to run your boat on Cane River. Our old club loved to fish over there. But it is/was run by the city and lake commission. In order for a club to hold a tournament in those days, you had to show the city proof you had XXX amount of liability of insurance. We would fish it and allow you to put in at any of the ramps and we would weigh in at the Shell station where you turn off on the Hwy 1 bypass. Back in those days, you could catch a lot of fish out of there.

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    There are no city permits to run your boat but there always have said that you need a boaters safety card, i have never gotten asked for my safety card so not sure if that is still in play......they still require a permit for club tourneys.....

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer7800 View Post
    Theres one in every crowd...

20. Member
    Went to cane river this morning, caught several early on topwater and my lil boy lost a TOAD at the boat. He doesn't quiet have the power stroke to drive frog hooks into a good ones mouth but he gave it heck. If I'd had a net I might could have landed it. Good 7 lber I'd guess. Top water turned off like the flip of a switch. It was almost every cast but when it quit, it quit. Ended up catching a few on crankbaits in the same area later. Been studying black lake and I definitely won't go back to the prairie next time I go.