Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xpress X21 Tournament Rig

I am currently in the market to buy a newer used Xpress X21. I've looked around for info concerning their performance but it seems that most of what I find pertains to smaller Xpress boats (X19, X18, X17) and not specifically the X21.

I would like to hear pros-cons from owners or people who have spent time fishing out of one. From what I have read the boats are fast, tough as nails, and float shallow. I am specifically interested in the boats ability to be a good TOURNAMENT RIG and handle ROUGH WATER. Being an aluminum boat, I understand it won't compare to a 21' glass boat but how much of a draw back is it since its still a 21'. I spend a lot of time on lakes that can get rough in a hurry like Kentucky Lake, Guntersville, and Pickwick. I understand after a point it will be rough on everyone but would like to know I can make the same runs other glass boats are capable of making.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Member
    Haven't had any trouble with mine. On a day that sunk 6 boats on Eufaula last year, I tried to run 3 times in 6-8 footers and finally turned around, everyone said I probably could have made it. I would have tried if I'd know I could have answered your question.

That was the worst day.
    Everything since has been nice and easy. Had it for a week on guntersville last summer the week before the FWC when is was rainy and nasty every day, no problems.
    Pro:
    #1 Size, i'm a big boy and don't feel too claustrophobic
    #2 Storage, I have 2 boys on the high school team and they feel that they need to being everything, and they do

Con:
    #1: Wind
    #2: I should have went with a 250
    #3: I should have went with a hydraulic jack plate
    ~~~~GROUND MEAT PRODUCTIONS~~~~
    OUTDOOR VIDEOS
    2016 XPRESS X21 ~ Yamaha F200LB ~ LOWRANCE ~ DAIWA ~

3. Member
    can you elaborate on Con #1?

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

4. Member
    If you are used to a glass bass boat, they say that they get pushed around a lot, they do sit higher. I didn't notice much of a difference because all I was used to was bay boats in coastal LA where wind is just part of the game.
    OUTDOOR VIDEOS

5. Member
    I hear the same thing. Have a x19 coming soon and just wondered how big a deal it will be to get used to. I love to fish out in the wind

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Member
    I appreciate the input. Im typically a shallow water guy but will get out deep at times.

7. Member
    I haven't noticed it much and haven't run out of battery fishing offshore.
    I think it's just something glass people say to make them feel better about spending twice as much.
    OUTDOOR VIDEOS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itismemc View Post
    I haven't noticed it much and haven't run out of battery fishing offshore.
    I think it's just something glass people say to make them feel better about spending twice as much.
    How rough does it get on you off shore and making runs?

9. Member
    Not enough for me to even register as a complaint?
    OUTDOOR VIDEOS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itismemc View Post
    Not enough for me to even register as a complaint?

AWESOME!!! Thanks!

11. Member
    I love my X21, got mine a year ago. I have no complaints. I will tell you go with the 250sho upgrade your prop to the FXP, also go with hydraulic jack plate & if your thinking about getting a power pole, don't get 1, get 2 they help out in windy conditions. The worst weather I was in with mine was back in Feb on Toledo bend crossed over the main lake in 4-5 footers, boat took a beating but no damages or cracked welds & I stayed dry. I can run 70-75mph & it rides & drives like a dream. anything over 75 you gotta drive it but its not terrible. I have friends that I fish with that have glass boats & they are amazed by the hole shot, how smooth the ride is, & how comfortable you can fish out of it.

2018 Skeeter FX20 LE
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Alright guys, ill go against the grain here. I dont have much X21 experience but i did owned the similar length H20B xpress for 3 years. I work for an offshore company, ive been in everything from flat calm to a true 10' chop with a lot of guys who know what they are looking at. Our 160' crew boats take a beating in the gulf's 6-8's running 12mph-15mph. Neither my xpress or 22' bay boat would be coming off the trailer in 4-5's much less 6-8's.

My H20B would get pounded in true 2' chop down here in south LA. It took one over the bow fishing the surf of last island. we had ankle deep water until the bilge could pump it out. We were anchored and swung into where they were breaking but they still weren't over 3' waves.

I have fished the coastal islands here in an X21 in 2-3's and took a few waves over the sides when we would be quartered and/or side sea-ed

Now, my 22' glass bay boat (heavier, wider, higher sides and much deeper V) is much better but i wouldn't dream of being in 3-4's in it and running. Ive been 40 miles offshore in my bay boat in true 2-3s and had to run 15-20mph to do it.

The xpress hulls do ride well, i did get compliments on its ride in the form of "it wasn't as bad as i expected for an alum hull" but it still has its limits like every boat. Lots of guys down here with the H22B and H24B are having welds bust towards the bow. Ive heard it was due to xpress not adding additional bracing when lengthening the bow from the H20B
    Last edited by seapickle; 04-13-2017 at 10:48 AM.

THANK YOU FOR STEPPING OUT AND BEING HONEST!!!!! It seems every time I have ever tried to give an honest review, 10,000 other are quick to jump my throat and say I'm bashing. I too call BS on a lot of wave height claims. I can't tell you how many peopl claim they run 70mph in 2-3 footers. NO YOU DON'T. You will get wet running this boat in a big chop, to rollers. I have a foot more boat as well(22 foot) I've spent hours and hours and days and days on Toledo Bend and Lake Ponchatrain. When loaded extremely heavy in fron strorage, you can make these boats ride well, with a big powerful motor, and a hydraulic jackplate. To the OP, if you are expecting a good rough water ride, load extra heavy in the front and expect your top speed to suffer(which is not a big factor in rough water). No doubt these are fast aluminum hulls. They serve the purpose, but if you are coming from a fiberglass rig, please please please look into an Xpress boat without carpet before you make up your mind. My boat does not have carpet. That's why I say that. I am not bashing, just giving honest feedback. If you buy an Xpress, you will have a decent boat, but like me and others, once you set this thing up right and get it to the fishing machine you want, you aren't going to save as much money as you think. My boat was advertised $27,999. Upgraded from a 175 to a 250. Upgraded from a 12volt 40lb thrust to a 36v 112lb thrust, upgraded from a 3" fish finder to 2 big HDS units. Upgraded from single axle galvanized trailer to double axle aluminum trailer. Upgraded from 6" manual jackplate to 14" hydraulic. Upgraded from 2 bank 5 amp charger to a 4 bank 15 amp. Now we're sitting at around $52,000. Again, not bashing, just being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by seapickle View Post
    Alright guys, ill go against the grain here. I dont have much X21 experience but i did owned the similar length H20B xpress for 3 years. I work for an offshore company, ive been in everything from flat calm to a true 10' chop with a lot of guys who know what they are looking at. Our 160' crew boats take a beating in the gulf's 6-8's running 12mph-15mph. Neither my xpress or 22' bay boat would be coming off the trailer in 4-5's much less 6-8's.

My H20B would get pounded in true 2' chop down here in south LA. It took one over the bow fishing the surf of last island. we had ankle deep water until the bilge could pump it out. We were anchored and swung into where they were breaking but they still weren't over 3' waves.

I have fished the coastal islands here in an X21 in 2-3's and took a few waves over the sides when we would be quartered and/or side sea-ed

Now, my 22' glass bay boat (heavier, wider, higher sides and much deeper V) is much better but i wouldn't dream of being in 3-4's in it and running. Ive been 40 miles offshore in my bay boat in true 2-3s and had to run 15-20mph to do it.

The xpress hulls do ride well, i did get compliments on its ride in the form of "it wasn't as bad as i expected for an alum hull" but it still has its limits like every boat. Lots of guys down here with the H22B and H24B are having welds bust towards the bow. Ive heard it was due to xpress not adding additional bracing when lengthening the bow from the H20B

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

14. Member
    Thanks for putting all you did and pricing! I am trying to decide on a X21 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by H22BASS250SHO View Post
    THANK YOU FOR STEPPING OUT AND BEING HONEST!!!!! It seems every time I have ever tried to give an honest review, 10,000 other are quick to jump my throat and say I'm bashing. I too call BS on a lot of wave height claims. I can't tell you how many peopl claim they run 70mph in 2-3 footers. NO YOU DON'T. You will get wet running this boat in a big chop, to rollers. I have a foot more boat as well(22 foot) I've spent hours and hours and days and days on Toledo Bend and Lake Ponchatrain. When loaded extremely heavy in fron strorage, you can make these boats ride well, with a big powerful motor, and a hydraulic jackplate. To the OP, if you are expecting a good rough water ride, load extra heavy in the front and expect your top speed to suffer(which is not a big factor in rough water). No doubt these are fast aluminum hulls. They serve the purpose, but if you are coming from a fiberglass rig, please please please look into an Xpress boat without carpet before you make up your mind. My boat does not have carpet. That's why I say that. I am not bashing, just giving honest feedback. If you buy an Xpress, you will have a decent boat, but like me and others, once you set this thing up right and get it to the fishing machine you want, you aren't going to save as much money as you think. My boat was advertised $27,999. Upgraded from a 175 to a 250. Upgraded from a 12volt 40lb thrust to a 36v 112lb thrust, upgraded from a 3" fish finder to 2 big HDS units. Upgraded from single axle galvanized trailer to double axle aluminum trailer. Upgraded from 6" manual jackplate to 14" hydraulic. Upgraded from 2 bank 5 amp charger to a 4 bank 15 amp. Now we're sitting at around $52,000. Again, not bashing, just being honest.
    1993 Gambler 206

15. Member
    Be sure you look at Con #1. Even in shallow water with a 20mph wind coming through a cove, your gonna be pushed around and I mean hard to even control with a trolling motor and what your running into. I just got my X19 and coming from a 519 Ranger this is the hardest part for me to get past. I will more than likely have to add power poles to keep me in this boat.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

Also I Have 2 8' power poles and transom/jackplate brackets in that price as well, because of what Lee X19 mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by BW544 View Post
    Thanks for putting all you did and pricing! I am trying to decide on a X21 as well.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee X19 View Post
    Be sure you look at Con #1. Even in shallow water with a 20mph wind coming through a cove, your gonna be pushed around and I mean hard to even control with a trolling motor and what your running into. I just got my X19 and coming from a 519 Ranger this is the hardest part for me to get past. I will more than likely have to add power poles to keep me in this boat.

Ultrex has been a game changer for that problem. For me anyway.

18. Member
    Any boat that sits bow high like a bullet, gambler, stroker, etc gets pushed around in the wind. It takes some time to get used to it.

19. Member
    Mine is coming with an ultex, and will eventually have poles or talons

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

20. Member
    I have a x19 200 sho and I've fished in some pretty bad stuff 3 footers yes but 6-8 no way. you will NOT stay dry but these hulls do ride and handle rough water well I came out of a 20 ft jav with a 225 and the wind blowing me around hasnt been a major factor my boat has a 70 lb TM 6 inch plate carpet hotfoot and a helix 9 dash mount from factory dual trailer and it came out the door at 36,480
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 X19 200 SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast