Speedometer stopped working

Was out yesterday and the speedometer on my 03 TR21 just stopped working all of a sudden. I am wondering what to look for. Does it work off water pressure tube or electric or combination of both. When my tach stopped a while back I received a fix from this site. Does anyone know of one for this instrument.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

2. Member
    More than likely the speedometer hole in your lower unit got plugged. It's a single hole several inches above the nose of your lower unit. Take a small drill bit and twist it into the hole with your fingers to pull the crap that's gotten in there. Should be good to go after that. If you can't get the stuff out, lower your lower unit. Then unplug the plastic line that connects to your lower unit (that feeds water pressure to your gauge), then take compressed air and blow the crap out. The drill bit usually works though.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

3. Member
    Thanks I will check it out. I didn't know how the gauge worked obviously just on water pressure. This site is a great source of knowledge.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    More than likely the speedometer hole in your lower unit got plugged. It's a single hole several inches above the nose of your lower unit. Take a small drill bit and twist it into the hole with your fingers to pull the crap that's gotten in there. Should be good to go after that. If you can't get the stuff out, lower your lower unit. Then unplug the plastic line that connects to your lower unit (that feeds water pressure to your gauge), then take compressed air and blow the crap out. The drill bit usually works though.
    +1. Happens to me at least once a year. I use an ice pick
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Happened to me once and now I use a GPS.

6. Member
    Is this your first trip out since winter cold temps? If so, the little bit of water that remains in the gauge will freeze and kill it. Helpful to put a drain line on it for future draining upon storage

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt651 View Post
    Is this your first trip out since winter cold temps? If so, the little bit of water that remains in the gauge will freeze and kill it. Helpful to put a drain line on it for future draining upon storage
    Not from freezing I keep in a garage back home that is heated during cold weather and I bring to AZ in winter with me. Thanks for the info good to know.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Happened to me once and now I use a GPS.
    I use the gps also. Just my OCD seeing a gauge not moving.lol
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soan View Post
    Amen. I installed digital trim for my merc monitor. Now my analog trim indicator, which is inside my Tach Gauge, is pegged all the way up. Drives me crazy...

Why is it that OCD is not in alphabetical order?
    Triton TR-186, Mercury Optimax 150

10. Member
    Well if your OCD is messed up from it not working don't run in dirty water or weed filled lakes because it will just happen again usually ever trip where I fish. You have to be careful not to drill it too much or you'll go into the lower unit then your OCD will really kick in.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Well if your OCD is messed up from it not working don't run in dirty water or weed filled lakes because it will just happen again usually ever trip where I fish. You have to be careful not to drill it too much or you'll go into the lower unit then your OCD will really kick in.
    I hear you what I used was a 16 gauge finishing nail no drilling. First time this ever happened. It was just a small piece of of crap.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

12. Member
    straighten a small bream hook and leave the barb on to pluck the wood etc. out.

Anyone have a speedometer that goes up and down in speed just sitting at idle? At this point i don't believe it's the hole at the motor since it's sporadic.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxstix View Post
    Anyone have a speedometer that goes up and down in speed just sitting at idle? At this point i don't believe it's the hole at the motor since it's sporadic.

Sounds like it's hooked up to the motors water pressure tubing, instead of the pitot hole in the LU.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soan View Post
    My gage also stop working and at this moment I could care less about it. As a matter of fact, my water pressure gage also stop working. This I do care about........ Looking for one now.

16. Member
    The drill bit fix worked for me a couple years back when I hit a small log that lodged wood debris in the intake hole. Slowly turned the bit and a few minutes later I was back in action. Luckily for me the LU wasn't more damaged from the log.