Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    They are going to do everything to let this lake drop to where they feel they wont have to do any water discharges this year once water temps warm up into the 80s. They will not have water flowing anywhere near the coast this year, they wont care if the rest of south florida goes bone dry and placed on water restrictions as long as they don't put a drop into the st lucie and Caloosahatchee rivers. They have so much pressure on them for not having a repeat of last years algae blooms on the coast, this is the only way they know how to manage it. It will be at 10 soon. the rim ditch and the offshore rockpiles are about to get a lot of attention. The mismanagement of water n this state has been ongoing since I can remember. I don't know why they cant manage this better. With all that said, id like to see the lake get down to 8-9 feet and let some new growth come in since they have killed every thing else....

I think your right Jason.... Captains for clean water and bullsugar are leaning real hard.
    I have not fished for bass in 2 years now and havent visited the lake in that long.....I do not want to see the mess we had last year in the gulf...That is for sure!!
    Jason

2. Member
    The outside Grass line has been destroyed by high water the last few years......having 10ft water is a blessing so it can regrow

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    They are going to do everything to let this lake drop to where they feel they wont have to do any water discharges this year once water temps warm up into the 80s. They will not have water flowing anywhere near the coast this year, they wont care if the rest of south florida goes bone dry and placed on water restrictions as long as they don't put a drop into the st lucie and Caloosahatchee rivers. They have so much pressure on them for not having a repeat of last years algae blooms on the coast, this is the only way they know how to manage it. It will be at 10 soon. the rim ditch and the offshore rockpiles are about to get a lot of attention. The mismanagement of water n this state has been ongoing since I can remember. I don't know why they cant manage this better. With all that said, id like to see the lake get down to 8-9 feet and let some new growth come in since they have killed every thing else....
    This is exactly right. They dont want another mess on the coasts.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

4. Member
    Kissimmee Chain is definitely being drawn down hard and early.
    Went to the lake yesterday and saw the results of it.
    Oh well ... go easy, stay in channels and use the trolling motor.

5. Member
    Going home after two weeks on Okeechobee, lots of fish but had to work for them unlike the trip at Christmas. Will be back next December, hope the grass comes back as well.

6. Member
    lost lower unit and a brand new fury 4 this weekend fishing the BFL on Okeechobee....Thank you water authority

7. Member
    Big tournament on Kissimmee this weekend ... cancelled due to low water.

8. Member
    I'm afraid those guys know how to manage the water. They know exactly what they are doing. Problem is the health of the lakes and concerns of the fishermen are of minor, if any interest, to them. As usual with our elected officials, money talks. Tragic thing.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davecon View Post
    I'm afraid those guys know how to manage the water. They know exactly what they are doing. Problem is the health of the lakes and concerns of the fishermen are of minor, if any interest, to them. As usual with our elected officials, money talks. Tragic thing.
    Unfortunately I believe you are 100% correct in your opinion of this issue and I do not see anything changing in the foreseeable future

10. Member
    The low water is EXTREMELY GOOD for the lake. Higher levels are what has been destroying the grass. The Boom in fish size and population came with the grass that grew during the last drought in 2006. Does anyone remember this lake in 2005? It had NO grass. Grassy island on the south and little grassy island on the north did not exist anymore. Eagle bay was just an island, no prairie. Blown out by high water and wind (1 small hurricane) Other than a little Kissimmee grass, some grass in north shore and about 1/2 the reeds you see now, it was ALL gone! You went through boyscout cut down south and were in open lake immediately. No grass, no trails, nothing.
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 04-25-2017 at 05:40 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    The low water is EXTREMELY GOOD for the lake. Higher levels are what has been destroying the grass. The Boom in fish size and population came with the grass that grew during the last drought in 2006. Does anyone remember this lake in 2005? It had NO grass. Grassy island on the south and little grassy island on the north did not exist anymore. Eagle bay was just an island, no prairie. Blown out by high water and wind (1 small hurricane) Other than a little Kissimmee grass, some grass in north shore and about 1/2 the reeds you see now, it was ALL gone! You went through boyscout cut down south and were in open lake immediately. No grass, no trails, nothing.
    +1

12. Member
    Hardening up all those backwater spawning areas that were covered by all the dead vegetation will help a ton too. The South end has so many dead reeds from Matthew all over mucking it up.seems like they caught em good in the bfl

13. Member
    I sincerely hope they let it get below 9' for a few months. You would all be very pleased with the results. Plus if you take time and learn where you can go, the fishing is fantastic when the lake is that low.

14. Member
    i just got back from a club tourney out of Clewston, water was low but if you were careful you could fish a good amount of areas, had alot of guys fishing cuts off of the rim ditch, Did most of our fishing the outside of the grass on main lake, shad bite is on cough all my fish on a white chatter bait. was kinda freaky seeing the rocks exposed on the sides of canal coming out of Clewston to main lake that had enough water last year we were fishing on them!

15. Member
    I agree with the guys saying the lake needs to go down some...it's the natural ebb and flow of the lake and it needs it.

There's a reason they draw down Rodman every few years.

I do remember Okeechobee in 05...it definitely needs to go down for a bit

16. Member
    Tha said...be extremely careful if you're not familiar with an area....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12