St Clair vs Presque Isle Bay

Went to PIB mid june last year with my two kiddos. Had a decent trip for a first timer. Was looking into St clair for mid june this year. Most of the lake houses i have found are rented that time already. Anyone have some input on comparing these two locations for smallmouth fishing? I have read all the LSC reports about how its KVD`s favorite lake, best SM lake in the country...etc. Then i read a post about how its overcrowded, fishing sucks, not as good as it used to be , cant get on the lake due to crowds...blah blah blah. PIB was crowded but pretty decent fishing still.As for outside the bay on the big lake, it was a very tough giant flat bath tub. NO visible structure to fish as far as humps, rock piles, points etc. What are some opinions of the two locations?

Thanks
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

2. Member
    Your not going to find much traditional structure on LSC either...It's all about following the bait around..
    If someone is saying the fishing sucks on LSC they don't know what the hell they are doing..
    LSC can be busy but if you fish during the week you will have some early mornings where it feels like you have the lake to yourself...If you fish the weekends the trick is to start early end early and fish way offshore to get away from the pleasure boaters..Fish LSC for awhile it doesn't take long to figure out where the high traffic areas are..As far as getting on the lake...I have never had an issue at Harley Ensign even on the busiest days..May have to wait a few minutes but there are like 20 something lanes there..I never have to wait launching..
    If I was coming up the second week of June for a family vacation I would drive a few more hours and head to Traverse city...Most of those lakes up there will be more in your wheelhouse as far as searching out structure fishing..

Thanks! I love Lake Champlain actually. It is an 18 hour drive tho. LSC is 10 hours from WNC already. Searched and searched for a lakefront house to rent. All are booked up mid june. I have a house reserved near PIB where we stayed last year. Was just thinking about changing those plans. 10-11 hrs is about my limit for towing a boat nowadays tho.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

4. Member
    I would delay your trip until the last saturday of june. That opens up the canadian side of lsc. Lower crowds and better fishing in my opinion. Theres a campground at mitchells bay, and safe lodging in wallaceburg.http://www.basshavencanada.com/

Didnt realize Canada was closed even for catch and release till end of June. Committed to June 10-17 this year. Prob just end up going to Erie again like last year. Least i know the area. Found a place at Stoney Point for mid June in CA. Looked pretty good, maybe next year.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

6. Member
    Been staying on Canada side of LSC for 15+ years...not many places to stay, but there is literally no traffic - even on the weekends, it's nothing like the US side.