Thread: OPIONS PLEASE

OPIONS PLEASE

I am considering a Helix to replace my 998.This unit and my 997 have been unsatisfacaory sidescaning. The images that I see on both the Garmin and the Rey Jef appear to have a much better picture than what I have gotten on my units.,, My first though about chirp is that the increased noise l;evel could effect the fish on downlooking sonar and I am pleased with my downlookig sonar.
    I would like your input n the following
    1. does chirp inhance sidescanning, I am ok with the reduced range as I set my range on 100 now. Will I have better better luck finding brushpiles with the Helix?
    2. can I turn off t he chirp when using convential sonar?
    3. Tackle warehouse indicated that a networkable unit was special . I though t that I only needed a cable adaptor to connect to my 848 on the front to share waypoints.

1. CHIRP provides more detail/better target separation.
    The low end of CHIRP has more range than the upper end of CHIRP due to the lower frequency/s. The lower end of CHIRP has more range than single frequency. You would have to chose a custom setting for the CHIRP frequency at the higher end of the frequency range to get less range.

2. Yes you can turn off CHIRP and use just single frequency with Sonar or Imaging

3. A Helix networkable unit and a XX9 series unit need an adapter for the Ethernet connection since that connection is quick disconnect in the cable collector. The XX8 models have a threaded Ethernet port to directly connect an Ethernet cable to them. There is nothing "special" about that, the adapter has been an inventory item since the HD models of the 700 series.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks for the info Wayne. Another Question, Some one mentioned a" fresh transducer" and commented that it might produce better signal.. Is there any vality to this? What Is gen 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimthefisherman View Post
    Thanks for the info Wayne. Another Question, Some one mentioned a" fresh transducer" and commented that it might produce better signal.. Is there any vality to this? What Is gen 2?
    A transducer is a combo speaker/microphone. Since it vibrates, it wears with use. A new transducer should be used with a new unit to get the best performance.

There are G2 versions which are the second generation of the Helix 5 and Helix 7. The first generation of those series is discontinued.

There are G2N versions of the Helix 9, Helix 10, and Helix 12. They have more features than the other versions. Both are current models.
    There is also the G2N Helix 7 version that is current and is Ethernet capable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL