Thread: Chautauqua

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chautauqua

Hey everyone, I am with the University of Maine Bass team and we will be going to Chautauqua this July (22nd). I know its not in Ohio, but I know you guys like to head over and catch some of their fish. I was wondering if anyone had any info they would like to share about what works for them or just general comments about the lake. Anything you want to share, even how much you hate the lake is helpful.

The south end of the lake has dirtier water than the north end. In the south end, there are several areas where the shoals are marked with small buoys. Those areas do hold fish. But, the guys who know the north end of the lake very well can find schools of smallies that will generally win. There are lots of weeds int he lake that hold fish. But, the other major type of cover is docks. Skipping a senko under the docks is always a good pattern and can result in some big fish.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    The south end of the lake has dirtier water than the north end. In the south end, there are several areas where the shoals are marked with small buoys. Those areas do hold fish. But, the guys who know the north end of the lake very well can find schools of smallies that will generally win. There are lots of weeds int he lake that hold fish. But, the other major type of cover is docks. Skipping a senko under the docks is always a good pattern and can result in some big fish.
    Agree with all of that. The big smallies are needles in a haystack. Sweet spots in massive weed beds. Fishing has been terrible the last few years.

4. Member
    ^----- you're crazy!!!!!! I've been SMASHING the smallies the last couple years - AND the largemouths too!!!!! The fishing hasn't been BETTER the last few years!

We go 2nd week in June, so that late in July is gonna be tough.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

5. Member
    Master when you going this year? We going June3rd
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

6. Member
    I'll be up there June 10th - 17th.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

7. Member
    I'll be there week before that.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

8. Member
    Nice! You'll have to let me know how you do. Hopefully the largemouths move up by then - last year they were just moving up the last 2 days we were there, so the dock bite was non-existent. BUT - the smallies were more than glad to come out and play!! Where do you stay??
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

9. Member
    We have stayed at bemus point lodge. This year we rented a house cause my buddy and his son going too
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

10. Member
    We stay in Mayville.....Irwin bay cottages. Great place and super friendly owner. We've been staying there now.....what....8 years???
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

11. Member
    The house we rented is 3-4 houses away from Irwin
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

12. Member
    No kidding?! That's funny! You'll have to let me know how you do up there.....and give me all your hot spots.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

13. Member
    Well Kingfisher42.......how are you doing up there????
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCASTER! View Post
    Well Kingfisher42.......how are you doing up there????
    sorry man havent been on bbc. pm sent
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

15. Member
    We did pretty good. Not the numbers or size that we've caught in years past.......but all in all a good trip.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hey MC, looks like we fished some of the same waters. Took a couple days to find any fish. Last 3 days of the trip were very good tho. Had best 5 just over 15 on Wednesday and 13lbs with best 5 on friday. Thursday was a day of dinks. Erie was absolutely terrible from Barcelona harbor east for 5 miles. Either that or im the worst SM fisherman on the planet. Weather was great and fishing was decent thanks to Chautauqua. SOrry we didnt get to meet up for that beer!
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

18. Member
    Been a wet and windy spring unlike last years dry year. I did get my PB smallmouth on the Sunday before Memorial Day. It went 7# 8 oz. Water temperature Memorial weekend was around 63. Last week it finally got in the low 70's. The dock bite continues to be off, but I did get a good smallmouth (6# range) on a dock fluke fishing. The dock bite better improve.

The amount of baitfish is quite high. I saw baitfish everywhere last year and so far this year I have seen even more baitfish. They are everywhere. With the Wind being up, the lake is not as clear this year. Weed growth is good. The Muskie guys are having a so so spring. We have more full time Muskie guys at our camp than bass fisherman.Walleye has been decent.

I have not been out on Erie yet. I have never done well running east out of Barcelona either KHNC. I run west most of the time, maybe a mile or two so West of Chautauqua Creek.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Well, thats good to know. I guess i shouldve went to North East Marina and went east from there. Good sign that its bad when no other bass boats are anywhere to be seen. I did hook a giant smallie on a jerkbait tuesday morning. 5lb class im guessing, but i lost it after a long fight and about 4 somersaults. Few guys said to try Dunkirk but i didnt. Just concentrated more on figuring out Chautauqua. Up north trips have been hit an miss for me due to weather in June. Last years PIB trip was much better for numbers but didnt want to fight the crowds this year. Very nice weather this trip but not many fish around the docks most days. Seems the algae growth slime appeared overnight and put a damper on docks that were good the day before.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

20. Member
    That slime ruined some of my best lmb spots. Lures just got coated in it
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns