plumbing question - changing shower fixtures

The kids bath has gold delta fixtures in the fiberglass shower. Is it possible to change out the fixtures without having the access the back as long as we replace with delta? We can access the back but it would require cutting through the drywall in a closet, so I would like to avoid that if possible. But the old fixtures have to go before we move in. Thoughts?
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

2. Banned
    If you just want to get rid of the gold color then you can buy new covers, if you have leaks then you can get new cartridges. Best thing to do is to call a plumber and ask him. If you have a Ferguson plumbing nearby you can usually get everything you need from them.

If you want new valve bodies, then yes.... you will have a mess to fix.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    If you just want to get rid of the gold color then you can buy new covers, if you have leaks then you can get new cartridges. Best thing to do is to call a plumber and ask him. If you have a Ferguson plumbing nearby you can usually get everything you need from them.

If you want new valve bodies, then yes.... you will have a mess to fix.
    This is correct! You can only change cartridges or the possible the escutcheons and handles. Anything else requires access!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

4. Member
    What they said but access is easy enough they make access panels you just cut out the size you need and pop in the plastic panel and you have a nice finish product you can inspect in the future or if any other problems come up.

5. Member
    We actually decided to demo the fiberglass surround since we found a hole the previous owners tried to repair. Thank you all for the replies.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

6. Member
    For future reference. Delta makes a "remodel" trim plate and gives you a larger opening after cut out to fit the new larger trim...If the fixtures were brass (gold tone) they were most likely Delta Monitor series...There are a limited number of new trim styles that will fit, but a big money saver...Sorry I did not get to this sooner..was on vacation. You can actually change out the valve for an updated one with this "remodel trim" if you are very careful..my plumber has done it several times..which gives you ultimate flexibility. I own a high end remodeling business in Gainesville, Ga. by the way...I hope that this helps out some