Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bought new Z18 and regret not upgrading to a tandem axle trailer

In Feb. of this year I purchased a new 2016 Nitro Z18. I should have spent the $1100 to upgrade to a tandem axle trailer at the time of purchased but I talked myself out of it so I could spend more on graphs.

I now really regret that decision and am looking to either convert my single to tandem, or pony up the cash and buy a new trailer.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that could convert my trailer in the Houston area? Or, as a last resort, a place to find a tandem Nitro trailer for my boat? The dealer wants $2600 plus TTL for a base tandem trailer with no brakes, and steel wheels.

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

2. Member
    Try ssmith (Scottand, Tx) 940-636-0097 he may help?

3. Member
    not been in or seen in person a z18. what about the single axle has you worked up?
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Banned
    What does the Z18 weigh? With the right axle and tires you should be good to 3500#+

5. Member
    3200 is the listed package weight. Normally batteries, gas, oil and gear are on top. will put total rig weight at 3600 which is pretty much the same weight of my Phoenix 618.
    2024 Phoenix 818

6. Member
    This is my 1st boat with a single axle. Always had tandems with brakes before.

Had a flat tire this past weekend. Destroyed the wheel/tire. I know it would have happened either way, but at 60 mph i would feel much better with another axle to share the load.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

7. Member
    Question...

Why'd the tire get destroyed?
    You should have had lots of time to catch it unless it blew out.

8. Member
    what tire did you have on?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

9. Member
    Trailer brakes a must on a 3600# rig. No excuse for that not being standard. I understand the drama of a blowout and don't debate the dual axle a bit better. My only point is as follows. Do you change the rig, increase costs ongoing, and reduce maneuverability for a once or twice in a lifetime event which you survived??? I see constant posts about the one time someone got caught in the storm and use that to justify why a 18ft boat is totally inappropriate and 21ft a must have.

trailer brakes and load D tires a must in my book if towing above 65mph on a rig your size. even with this, sometimes stuff happens
    2024 Phoenix 818

You can minimize some risk if you keep the single axle by installing a TPS monitor system with low pressure alarm. Won't help with a blow-out but a puncture and pressure starting to decrease may give you time to pull off and save your fender and wheel from destruction. www.trailertpms.com

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

11. Member
    I've always had tandem trailers but I got a new boat this year and I decided to go with a single axle so far I'm pleased with my choice it's so much easier to work with. The only thing I really see different is the boat looks better on a tandems. As far as pulling them and the ride well I've been driving a damm ole truck for 40 years I can't tell no different. Good luck to you

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERNYANKEE View Post
    I've always had tandem trailers but I got a new boat this year and I decided to go with a single axle so far I'm pleased with my choice it's so much easier to work with. The only thing I really see different is the boat looks better on a tandems. As far as pulling them and the ride well I've been driving a damm ole truck for 40 years I can't tell no different. Good luck to you
    Yup, right there ^^^
    Put good tires on that single axle, AND RUN AT LEAST 55-60psi in the tires. Don't even look at the max psi listed on the tires; just go with at least 55. Short of cutting a tire, the OP would have never blown a tire in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Yup, right there ^^^
    Put good tires on that single axle, AND RUN AT LEAST 55-60psi in the tires. Don't even look at the max psi listed on the tires; just go with at least 55. Short of cutting a tire, the OP would have never blown a tire in the first place.
    I have had single axle trailers, had a single axle with a 19ft. Bass boat on it. If I kept the speed reasonable ( under 70) it wasn't too bad. BUT! From the OP's post #6 I think a blow out at highway speeds got his attention. I hit some trash going through KCMO. Years ago with a single axle trailer, tire blew out, tore the fender up real bad. Quite a different reaction with a single compared to a tandem when a tire has a blow out. I could be wrong------- but that seems to be what he was saying

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I have had single axle trailers, had a single axle with a 19ft. Bass boat on it. If I kept the speed reasonable ( under 70) it wasn't too bad. BUT! From the OP's post #6 I think a blow out at highway speeds got his attention. I hit some trash going through KCMO. Years ago with a single axle trailer, tire blew out, tore the fender up real bad. Quite a different reaction with a single compared to a tandem when a tire has a blow out. I could be wrong------- but that seems to be what he was saying
    You could be right, but I think the result would be the same; a torn up fender.
    A blow out on a single axle trailer would definitely more dramatic, lol.
    It's not about the cost; I personally wouldn't bother hauling a smaller 2500lb bass boat on a tandem trailer; it's overkill, and a tandem looks weird with a small boat on it.

15. Member
    OP never said blow out... He said flat.

No offence, but he should have been paying more attention and he wouldn't have wrecked anything.
    I understand we all get distracted on a long drive, but its never an excuse.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    OP never said blow out... He said flat.

No offence, but he should have been paying more attention and he wouldn't have wrecked anything.
    I understand we all get distracted on a long drive, but its never an excuse.
    Before you start pointing fingers, you may want to know the facts. I was in a section of freeway that has been under construction and had no shoulder on either side, and no open exit for almost a mile. Traffic was moving 65 mph when I noticed the tire going down. I could only slow down, not stop, by the time I was able to get over and off the road safely, the tire had gone completely down, and the rim was rolling on the concrete. A second axle would have been able to support the trailer better in this situation, and possibly may have at least saved the wheel.

I am very anal about my trailers. The air, lugs, and bearings are always checked before each trip, and I watch my tires like a hawk in the mirrors.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXZ18 View Post
    Before you start pointing fingers, you may want to know the facts. I was in a section of freeway that has been under construction and had no shoulder on either side, and no open exit for almost a mile. Traffic was moving 65 mph when I noticed the tire going down. I could only slow down, not stop, by the time I was able to get over and off the road safely, the tire had gone completely down, and the rim was rolling on the concrete. A second axle would have been able to support the trailer better in this situation, and possibly may have at least saved the wheel.

I am very anal about my trailers. The air, lugs, and bearings are always checked before each trip, and I watch my tires like a hawk in the mirrors.

If its not safe for you to continue down the road you need to stop.
    I understand people would be pissed at you, but its better then causing an accident because you can't control your trailer. If your so anal about everything, then I'm sure you have the equipment to change a tire very quickly. 10 minutes of hold up, is better then an accident any day.

Even running that long even with a tandem axel trailer would have wrecked the tire and rim.

And for your information, we always rebuild wheel bearings every year, torque lugs, and check tire pressure every trip. Never had a failure other then a flat tire which was promptly changed. We pull our camper and boat down the road, lots to, check 6 wheels.
    Last edited by LittlePech; 04-18-2017 at 10:30 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    If its not safe for you to continue down the road you need to stop.
    I understand people would be pissed at you, but its better then causing an accident because you can't control your trailer. If your so anal about everything, then I'm sure you have the equipment to change a tire very quickly. 10 minutes of hold up, is better then an accident any day.

Even running that long even with a tandem axel trailer would have wrecked the tire and rim.

And for your information, we always rebuild wheel bearings every year, torque lugs, and check tire pressure every trip. Never had a failure other then a flat tire which was promptly changed. We pull our camper and boat down the road, lots to, check 6 wheels.
    In Houston, If you stop in a moving lane of traffic on the freeway, with no shoulder, to change a flat, you will get killed.

19. Member
    Its amazing how expressing my opinion about my own equipment can cause so much polarization among people. Just forget I ever made this post.

20. Member
    Now I feel bad...

What kind of idiot closed all but one lane on a freeway through a major city?
    When you said freeway I assumed open highway not crazy busy area.
    Someone seriously needs a little extra common sense there.
    Last edited by LittlePech; 04-18-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast