Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Many Texans give bat out of hell a new meaning when in a car and the interstates are dangerous when your car is running 70mph without trailer. I would not stop either. The situation Tx18 found hisself in is not common unless you live in a big city. Think Toronto but 30mph faster and I am not joking.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    Many Texans give bat out of hell a new meaning when in a car and the interstates are dangerous when your car is running 70mph without trailer. I would not stop either. The situation Tx18 found hisself in is not common unless you live in a big city. Think Toronto but 30mph faster and I am not joking.

Toronto is a 2 days drive from me...
    Only even been in the airport there, but I get your point.

Not sure why you think our roads are slow.
    Everyone does 110km/h or 70 on highways and 120km/h 75 on the transcanada.
    Little slower, but you have millions more to spend on highways, and your roads are better.

[QUOTE=davidsa;8336406]Many Texans give bat out of hell a new meaning when in a car and the interstates are dangerous when your car is running 70mph without trailer. I would not stop either. The situation Tx18 found hisself in is not common unless you live in a big city. Think Toronto but 30mph faster and I am not joking.[/QUOTE]

When I tow through Toronto, most of the time the traffic on the QEW or 401 is dead stopped! If not, then it's bumper to bumper at 10-20 kph over the speed limit! That's why I prefer to tow through Toronto between 1:00 and 2:00 am!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Toronto outside of peak times I consider normal speed. Texas has big SUVs driving 80 mph in heavy traffic
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    TXZ....I feel your pain. Did you read the post at bottom of page. The guy is converting his tandem to a dual and I believe he has a Nitro. At the very least, he could give you an idea of DIY cost. I hope you fare well.

Tandem wheels suck and they're hard to turn and don't manuever well. Single is much preferable to me and you still can't drive with a flat if you have a tandem. Not to mention it's more dryrot to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    If its not safe for you to continue down the road you need to stop.
    I understand people would be pissed at you, but its better then causing an accident because you can't control your trailer. If your so anal about everything, then I'm sure you have the equipment to change a tire very quickly. 10 minutes of hold up, is better then an accident any day.

Even running that long even with a tandem axel trailer would have wrecked the tire and rim.

And for your information, we always rebuild wheel bearings every year, torque lugs, and check tire pressure every trip. Never had a failure other then a flat tire which was promptly changed. We pull our camper and boat down the road, lots to, check 6 wheels.

NOOOOOOOO

No way would I even changed a flat ON THE SHOULDER around a big metro. A friend of mine was killed in Omaha Ne. A few months ago---- hell he had a big orange city truck with flashing lights, a flashing arrow and several other guys patching potholes---- and it was in the middle of a beautiful day. Still, a four wheeler hit him and killed him, speeds under 40 mph. And you want to risk your life ( and others) by stopping on an interstate under construction with NO shoulders????????

I spent 3/4 of my life on the road, no way in God's name would I pull over Around Houston to change a flat on the shoulder. I had a trailer (semi ) tire separate on I-5 around L.A. Ca. I just kept going until I hit an exit ramp that permitted a rig to exit.

Tonight's news---- a guys car broke down on I-80, he pulled to the shoulder, semi hit him---- killed him. Go ahead pull on to the shoulder on an interstate, it's your life

I would never change a flat on the shoulder facing an interstate.

10. Banned
    I've had both..single and tandem axle... you will NEVER catch me without a tandem axle...ever again!!...even my small atv trailer is tandem!!

I had one tire(not brake axle) go down... didn't catch it until before the next trip... aired up and went straight to the tire store for repair.. ..
    .. saw Skeet Reese pull into a tournament once with one tire/wheel MISSING on his tandem axle trailer...

11. Member
    I live in and tow my boat in Houston traffic as well. If I had a flat or blowout there is no way I would stop on one of those Interstate lanes. If I had to drag my boat to get to an exit even it would ruin my axle to get to a safe place, thats what I would do. Its a good way to get killed. It happens several times a year there where someones car either breaks down or is involved in an accident on the Houston roads and they get slammed into and killed. Hell my insurance agent told me about 20 % of the cars on Houston roads don't carry insurance. So TXZ18 did the right thing about not stopping. TXZ18 put a set of Goodyear Endurance D rated tires on your trailer and a TPMS. Thats what I put on my Z118 Ranger with a single axle. Tows great. I fish Fayette twice week when in Katy.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    If its not safe for you to continue down the road you need to stop.
    I understand people would be pissed at you, but its better then causing an accident because you can't control your trailer. If your so anal about everything, then I'm sure you have the equipment to change a tire very quickly. 10 minutes of hold up, is better then an accident any day.

Even running that long even with a tandem axel trailer would have wrecked the tire and rim.

And for your information, we always rebuild wheel bearings every year, torque lugs, and check tire pressure every trip. Never had a failure other then a flat tire which was promptly changed. We pull our camper and boat down the road, lots to, check 6 wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12