Wheeler general info

I will be in Decatur all next week for technical training, and I'm planning to bring my boat. I've never fished wheeler, and looking for some general advice. Looking to stay as close to the 72 bridge as possible. Probably the Double Tree. Any of you local guys recommend the Decatur harbor or somewhere close to that for a ramp. I was planning to just poke around in that area trying to get a feel for the lake. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    2015 Phoenix 819

2. Member
    Ingalls Harbor if putting in around the Decatur area. Water is coming up to summer pool. Would look shallow in the weed beds and willow bushes in the flats.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

72 bridge? Are you down on lower end or in Decatur area?
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

4. Member
    Thanks Ranger Jim.
    Kerry201, I think I will be staying at the Double Tree in Decatur, which looks to be less than 2 miles from Ingalls. I am supposed to be getting out of the meetings by 4-4:30 each day, so I should be on the water by 5ish hopefully.
    2015 Phoenix 819

Unless there's something different going on on what is the Wheeler, I can't buy a flipping jig bite on Pickwick...Those shallow willows and buck bushes should be holding fish along with the sawgrass you'd think with the water temps where they are but thus water down here has been very stingy....having never been on Wheeler, especially up around Decatur, pay extra attention to your graphs...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Flipping bite is TOUGH here as well. I think allot of fish are just getting in and some as usual spawn deeper with the water swinging from one extreme to another. Plus it's Wheeler lol. The stepchild of the TN river........
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

Wheeler is an adopted red headed step child that spends time in and out of the jail house being arrested because of drug use and fake ids to go bar hopping...the drunk...what a drunk...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

I like wheeler. I'm odd tho