Grab pole issues

The ball on top of my grab pole has broke off, I didn't see just the replacement ball on the website? Any ideas
    Basscat Puma 225 Pro XS

We assume that is the bronze ball. We had a plethora of issues on the heavier bronze ball and the phenolic black ball is better in many ways. The bronze balls were stolen frequently, caused harmonics from road vibration and compromised metal (fatigue), or broken off from similar vibration we suspect (or knocked off and stolen and we will never know which). The vibration and harmonic transferred through the grab post the the tongue and compromised several weld areas and caused fatigue above where the metal was heated.

They would be glad to assist you on a new phenolic in parts.

3. Member
    I need a new one too.

Will call

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We assume that is the bronze ball. We had a plethora of issues on the heavier bronze ball and the phenolic black ball is better in many ways. The bronze balls were stolen frequently, caused harmonics from road vibration and compromised metal (fatigue), or broken off from similar vibration we suspect (or knocked off and stolen and we will never know which). The vibration and harmonic transferred through the grab post the the tongue and compromised several weld areas and caused fatigue above where the metal was heated.

They would be glad to assist you on a new phenolic in parts.
    Interesting that this comes up... I was checking my 2016 Cougar FTD trailer last night and I see the weld around the base of my grab pole with the black ball on top has a crack around it with rust developing in the crack. Would this be what you are referring to as the cause of mine also? What kind of fix would this require?

Harmonics could be the issue, the S bend post was done to also reduce harmonics. It all depends and we would refer to your dealer for more help there.

Unfortunatly I don't have a dealer but here's a pic!

It won't come loose because it's pinned inside the tubing by a solid internal piece, or is supposed to be. That needs a new weld as the weld has crept somehow, then a paint and clear touch up.

See your local body shop friend is our suggestion. It shouldn't take long and BCB Service will need to work with someone on it.

Grab poles, steps and harmonics have seen numerous alterations to the poles over time. There have been over a dozen changes to pivot tongue areas of grab posts.

Gussets, thickness, sleeving, bends, ball style, gaps, steps, bolt stud, cap, drains and more.

A part that seems so simple has had continual improvement and evolving.

This is simply a poor weld where they missed the gap center.

Ok will do.... I'll just have them get ahold of service at BCB! Thanks

Thanks for the info I'll contact parts
    Basscat Puma 225 Pro XS

11. Member
    Only way to get rid of vibrations that tend to tune up to natural frequency is to add mass or redirect with stiffness. I would assume it's because of the velocity across the grab post itself?

12. Member
    I have same issue on my 2009 as bigbass225. Mine has the brass on top of handle.

Quote Originally Posted by IFish4Bass View Post
    I have same issue on my 2009 as bigbass225. Mine has the brass on top of handle.
    Same here on my 2011 Eyra trailer, mine still has the brass ball intact!

14. Member
    I've pondered the harmonics issue whith the grabpost in my head numerous times. I always end up thinking of filling the tube with a rubber of some sort. It should work the same way those rubber dampeners on a compound bow work.