Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bought a new boat, getting home issues.

So I bought a new boat, it was stored in door etc but it's 4 hours away, I gave half the money down got the boat title but he needed a new trailer title cause it was lost so I left it there for storage a friend of a friend owned this boat, so my dilemma is I work overnights and can't make it the the dmv specially if I drive there besides driving 24 hours with no sleep or going to a 12 hour shift with no sleep, does nys offer temporary tags to transport my boat home?

Ask to borrow the current tags for the trip home and then mail them back to the current owner.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Seldom do cops around here pull trailers over for tags. I have a friend that towed to Canada and back on two year dead tags. Some states in the South don't even require tags. I'd get them if I could, and if not find a set somewhere.

4. Member
    If you have a bill of sale you should be fine towing it home without tags
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

5. Member
    Make sure all the lights work,and they won't bother you. But a bill of sale goes a long way in avoiding hassles.
    Ed

6. Member
    I would try to get a temporary before moving the trailer. I know in PA you would NOT be good to drive with just a bill of sale - the trailer must be registered with at least a temporary tag. Keep in mind that in the past few years many police departments are now utilizing ALPR's (Automatic License Plate Readers). Once you pass by one, it will immediately send an alert to the operator that the tag is expired, suspended, etc... Simply not worth the risk in my opinion. In a worst case scenario you get fined, trailer w/ the boat attached is impounded. Just food for thought. I guess you have to weigh the risk vs. benefit personally.

7. Member
    Gotchya! Thanks guys! Nys only offers Temps to out of state purchases.

8. Member
    I have my old nitro trailer tags too haha but I'd man.

9. Member
    If I am not mistaken, millions of trailers do not have a VIN nbumber, they fall off.

10. Member
    In KY, we do not put tags on the trailer so if I pull through NY I am legal. I guess a cop trying to be a pain could look at truck tag then boat and make the determination. I would not sweat it. While we do not tag the boat the trailer is titled differently from the boat and VIN is important.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    In KY, we do not put tags on the trailer so if I pull through NY I am legal. I guess a cop trying to be a pain could look at truck tag then boat and make the determination. I would not sweat it. While we do not tag the boat the trailer is titled differently from the boat and VIN is important.

david ya know how those NY Cops are.. they can say that was then this is now. that may work in KY, but your in NY now.

12. Member
    you could be right. I visit NYC quite a bit but have no interaction with NY outside of the city. I think any state can have counties where the police seem to have personal quotas to meet. Might I mention I 75 at about mile marker 60 in GA Meanwhile I'm doing 77 in a 55mph HOV lane downtown ATL and can't get that 7'6 inch high truck off my tail
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

13. Member
    Had that happen here in Indiana went picked up new boat and no tag on trailer and got stopped by state police just showed bill of sale and everything was ok

If it was me -- I would go get the boat and take my chances which are slim to none that you will get stopped.
    If you get pulled over -- just explain the situation.

Hook up and drive home.. Obey the speed limits and make sure the trailer lights all work and don't worry about it.
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

16. Member
    I'd just tow it. Mine came out of TN and they don't title them there. Here in GA we have to register them, BUT I CHALLENGE ANYONE to find a place to mount the tag on my trailer. I keep the tag in the map pocket behind my seat, so at least if I get Sheriff Barney from Mayberry that I'll have a tag for him.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

I drilled in rear trailer frame 2 holes match tag holes, HD SS piano hinge, piece of real rubber mud flap cut to match just above holes drilled in frame and hinge and just below holes in top of tag. lock nut & bolts . have the flap on back side behind . so tag swings back n forth with wind from trailing or from waves at lake. wont crack or break tag, since will pivot

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    you could be right. I visit NYC quite a bit but have no interaction with NY outside of the city. I think any state can have counties where the police seem to have personal quotas to meet. Might I mention I 75 at about mile marker 60 in GA Meanwhile I'm doing 77 in a 55mph HOV lane downtown ATL and can't get that 7'6 inch high truck off my tail

Ohhhh YES... welcome to traffic inside I-285! Flippin' maniacs I tell ya'....

Oh and don't get me started on those coppers down in Tift County. JESUS!!!!!!!!
    I've never been stopped by them, mainly because I'll never go more than 3MPH over the speed limit down there. Been there too many times, seen too many pulled over... enough to NOT wanna visit their jails.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

I have bought 3 boats out of state, and won a boat out of state. With the bill of sale in my possession, I never gave it a second thought.

20. Member
    Bought my boat in TN (where they don't plate trailers) and pulled it home to CO without plates no problem. We have to license trailers here, but I have pulled it around the state without them without hassle. Only been asked at one boat ramp, showed the bill of sale and was fine. That said, when I looked for the VIN on the trailer, it was illegible, so I'm going to have fun licensing it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast