Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiebass View Post
    Mine isn't any better. At 4 hours now on Smartcraft. . 4" PTP. I tried opening up and it only would do 5200 rpm and 56 mph. Full load and full tank of gas with 2 guys. Tried for 3 hours to break the jack plate loose so I could raise up the motor but no luck. Taking it back to dealer tomorrow to get them to adjust the motor. It took 100-200 yards to finally get on pad.
    If it is taking one to two football fields to get on pad something is wrong.

2. Member
    New 920 last week and during break in, I've noticed that with the live wells full, it takes FOREVER to get on plane. Is this normal due to reduced power at breaking? 250 xs with 25 Fury. I haven't measured PRP yet.
    sounds like maybe live wells over flowing into the hull may need to turn on the bilge pump

Quote Originally Posted by REELWORLD42 View Post
    sounds like maybe live wells over flowing into the hull may need to turn on the bilge pump
    Negative. Motor is too low. Raising the jack plate.
    Thanks
    Scotty W. Pennington

www.scottypennington.com

2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP, Mercury 250

4" on PTP is too low. I would go to about 3"

I can have my jackplate at the lowest setting possible and still pop out of the hole and I'm gone. Something is obviously not right. At 4" below I am hitting 78 mph. Between 4" and 3.25" Top end only changes a few mph + or - and holeshot seems to be the same. Is the boat reaching full rpms?
    Last edited by Walleye1875; 04-25-2017 at 04:46 PM.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

If it is not reaching full throttle then that is your problem. Check to ensure throttle lever is opening all the way under the cowl and ensure hotfoot is set correctly. Start there, could be a ton of things, bad prop etc. Don't get all caught up on exact jackplate settings until your trying to fine tune the rig. I am constantly adjusting my hydraulic jackplate on the fly to adapt to conditions and create the best ride and performance... the setting could vary within inches depending on prop, load and conditions but holeshot does not change much. My stock 3 blade fury likes to run deep. 3.75 is ideal but that is for WOT performance.
    Last edited by Walleye1875; 04-25-2017 at 04:45 PM.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Say my boat at the best overall speed setting on my hydraulic plate is 3" ptp. I am at 3" on my gauge as well. I can drop the plate to 0" which would be 6" ptp and have the exact same hole shot minus the minimum blow out that will occur when at 3". I can also run 75 mph plus with any setting on the jack plate from 0" to 6".

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    I can have my jackplate at the lowest setting possible and still pop out of the hole and I'm gone. Something is obviously not right. At 4" below I am hitting 78 mph. Between 4" and 3.25" Top end only changes a few mph + or - and holeshot seems to be the same. Is the boat reaching full rpms?
    No it wasn't. It was only hitting 5200 rpm and 56 mph. Dealer looked at it today and everything seemed okay with the computer and throttles. We raised the engine an inch and I will test drive it tomorrow to see what happens.
    Thanks
    Scotty W. Pennington

www.scottypennington.com

I would also ask to test another prop. Good luck and hope you get her figured out soon.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Another thought? Do you have talons or anything that could be dragging in the water?

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Back to the dealer again next week. Raised the motor 1 inch. Didn't help except for a few more rpm. Blowing out now too if I try to come up too fast. I really think the prop is bad or the lower unit is toast.
    Thanks
    Scotty W. Pennington

www.scottypennington.com

12. Member
    Ask you dealer for a different prop to try, same pitch and see what it does then. Furies are noted for being bad out of the box, according to Mark C.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

13. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your problem. I have nothing to add that may help, that hasn't already been mentioned.
    That really sucks to get a new boat and have the motor messing up. We spend a ton on these things and it should be just right. We get so excited with anticipation to get our new boat, I can't imagine your disappointment, not to mention how upset/angry you may be...It ticks me off just hear about your problem. For what we pay for those things, we should be able to at least exchange it for a good one.
    Really hope it's just a settings / prop issue, but doesn't seem like it. Best wishes...really.
    Rant done!

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problem. I have nothing to add that may help, that hasn't already been mentioned.
    That really sucks to get a new boat and have the motor messing up. We spend a ton on these things and it should be just right. We get so excited with anticipation to get our new boat, I can't imagine your disappointment, not to mention how upset/angry you may be...It ticks me off just hear about your problem. For what we pay for those things, we should be able to at least exchange it for a good one.
    Really hope it's just a settings / prop issue, but doesn't seem like it. Best wishes...really.
    Rant done!
    Thanks for your kind words. It is upsetting but I hope everyone understands that I don't hold this against Phoenix. This is probably the finest boat I've been in and I've been in them all. Set up issues happen and I know my dealer, Phoenix, and Mercury will make it right. Even if this means a whole new boat and motor.
    Thanks
    Scotty W. Pennington

www.scottypennington.com

Well I hope not. Has nothing to do with Phoenix. Or the Jackplate like stated above.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    Well I hope not. Has nothing to do with Phoenix. Or the Jackplate like stated above.
    Looks to have been a blown air compressor for my issues. Brand new motor and blew during the first hour.
    Thanks
    Scotty W. Pennington

www.scottypennington.com

Looks to have been a blown air compressor for my issues. Brand new motor and blew during the first hour.
    That'll do it. And your dealer adjusted the JP and sent you back home the first time? Glad you got it figured out.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

18. Member
    I run a 26 fury on my 721 with the live wells full if you have a Atlas jack plate drop it down to 10 on the gauge you should be on plane in 1-2 seconds mine is a rocket

19. Member
    Make sure they get your fuel rails, injectors, and air injectors cleaned if it blew the compressor. They are notorious for sending shrapnel and clogging that stuff up

That has to be a new record, blown compressor in under an hour. Sounds like the dealer (or whoever installed the motor) got something wrong with the oil lines going to the comp or something like that... would say they didnt do an oil prime sequence/put in break-in mode but I cant see an oversight that big happening.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast