New motor and playing with props and set up.

So since I got my new motor last year I have been playing with props and set ups. Last year I tried going from my old 23 Trophy Plus to a 25 Tempest Plus. Just could not get out of the hole. Kept blowing out. Tried all kinds of plug configurations, no luck. I just ran with the Trophy the rest of the year. Ran pretty good. Up to 68 gps and learning to deal with the chine walking. Wasn't too bad, but a new experience for me. Still had some throttle and rpms left so never got to top speed. Now this year I decided to try to Tempest again. I lowered my motor from about 2 1/4 ptp down to just over 3 inches. Wow what a difference! Great hole shot. All 3 medium plugs. BUT when I got to 64 gps the chine walk was down right scary! A LOT worse than with the old Trophy. I raised the motor about 3/4 inch and the next day still had a good hole shot and never got to speed to see if that raised motor helped with the walking, way too rough. So I guess my question is does any one out here in Triton Land think that raising the motor will help with the chine walking or do I need to see about getting an different pitch Trophy or maybe the new Fury 4? I have heard that the 4 blades are better for chine walking. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Member
    The trophy or the fury 4 blades will help with chine walk, but there's no cure for it other than learning how to drive a boat that walks.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

3. Member
    Bring it to Powell and I'll show you how to drive it. It's tough to explain, but easy to teach in person. I can have you comfortable with it in no time.

Edit: PM sent
    Last edited by PowellSixO; 04-11-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

4. Member
    I have heard that these older TR 21s like the 4 blade props better. It did handle pretty good with the Trophy I have, but that constant quest for speed means trying the Tempest! haha

Can't comment on the props, but raising the motor definitely helps to make the chine walking more manageable. You just have to watch your water pressure and not raise it too high. I also find on my rig that higher motor = worse holeshot under larger loads. So, if holeshot is important, you may have to work a balance on height between speed/chine and holeshot.