Thread: rod locker lids

rod locker lids

I am hopefully going to be recarpeting and updating my seats. But I have a couple of problems to start with. My front rod lockers are pulling the screws loose on the piano hinges and popping the rivets out of the doors. Upon further investigation when tightening the hinges back up it puts the lids in a bind on each end of the hinges. Thats when I noticed looking down the edge of the rod locker lids that they are concaved quite a bit.

Anyone ever run into this before. Any thoughts on how to deal with this. Thanks Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1995 Ranger R72
    1995 Evinrude 115 Intruder
    S/N G03897455
    model# E115GLEOC

2. Member
    hmmm Had some views but no answers. Is it possible that this normal ? And the hinges coming loose are just conincidence ?
    1995 Ranger R72
    S/N G03897455
    model# E115GLEOC

3. Member
    I have never seen this before. No clue what would cause that.

4. Member
    Not seen before, but the hinge coming loose is a result
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

5. Member
    Are they concave like that whether they are open or shut? When it's open like in you pics, you'd think the part of the deck that the hinge screws to is similarly curved. That or the alignment of the hinge is off. I'm not familiar with what hinges they use, if it's a full length piano hinge, it might be worth switching to shorter hinges, that might stop the binding.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

6. Member
    Are they concave like that whether they are open or shut? " yes

When it's open like in you pics, you'd think the part of the deck that the hinge screws to is similarly curved." That or the alignment of the hinge is off. "I am thinking I never latch my lids. Maybe over time it just warped ????"

I'm not familiar with what hinges they use, if it's a full length piano hinge, Yes

it might be worth switching to shorter hinges, that might stop the binding. " Will give this a shot "
    1995 Ranger R72
    S/N G03897455
    model# E115GLEOC

7. Banned
    Hey Rob, fins a true straight edge and see if the boat itself is straight..or curved the same as the lids... this tell you if the lids are warped or just matching the curvature of the boat itself..