Thumbs Up RESOLVED: Garmin v2017.0 LakeVu HD Ultra Download Info

After 8 unsuccessful attempts to download LakeVu HD Ultra with Garmin Express, on both Windows and Mac, I spoke with tech support this morning.

I have to say, Anthony in software development, went above and beyond and finally solved the issue. He spent 3 hours logged into my Mac and discovered several errors in the download log files.

LakeVu HD Ultra is a 21.41GB download and it takes time. Logged into my computer via screen sharing, we discovered that the files do download properly to my computer. BUT Garmin Express does not rename the files properly during transfer of 15 map files to the SD card.

And thus we get the “download error” message after 3 hours of downloading…. on a very fast internet connection.

Our solution was to rename each map file extension from -temp to .img on the SD card.

Garmin’s Software development team is now aware of the file renaming issue and said that they will work on it ASAP.

Anthony also confirmed that purchased LakeVu HD Ultra SD cards are 32GB in size and CANNOT be copied or backup to another SD card.

ONLY the download map version can be backed up to another 32 GB SD card.

NOTE: I still get a “can’t unlock maps” message when starting the 53DV, just ignore it for now. The LakeVu HD Ultra map shows up in Settings > System > System Information > Software Information as a supplemental map along the base map.

HomePort shows the LakeVu HD Ultra map as unlocked.

It was a learning experience for both of us and hopefully Garmin gets all this resolved very soon.

Ready to fish Mark Twain Lake this Easter weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nikonian; 04-26-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Map Issue Resolved

2. Member
    It has been almost 14 days after speaking with tech support for hours and I still get the "cannot unlock map" when starting the echoMAP CHIRP 53DV.

Tried another download today on another brand new FAT32 SD card and it still fails!

Anybody else have this problem with downloading the LakeVu HD Ultra onto SD cards????

I really can't afford to take another day off since tech support is only available during the week
    Fish rate my skills as "just below average"

3. Member

4/25/17 Garmin Support UPDATE

4/25/17 UPDATE:

Yesterday Garmin support called me and I sent them screenshots of the download and “cannot unlock map” errors and other diagnostic log and GMA files.

Thank you Todd Driscoll for having Garmin contact me

The Garmin Express software engineer will look at the files and determine what is going on. Mind you, the errors are appearing on both PC and Mac map download attempts.

Meanwhile Garmin is sending me the LakeVu HD Ultra maps on SD card so I should receive that later this week.

Other than the download issues, I REALLY enjoy this unit with the “older” GT22HW transducer. Last Sunday I headed to my favorite catfish river, about a mile from where it dumps into the Mississippi.

The 800hz Chirp DownVu and Traditional Chirp sonar image are simply stunning. I saw bait balls of shad being attacked by very large catfish on the screen. On the shallow side of the river I saw huge schools of crappie nesting.

My only regret now is not having bought the echoMap CHIRP 73SV with the SideVu for $200 more

4. Member

Final Update: 4/26/2017

Today I received the pre-programmed 2017 LakeVu HD Ultra SD card and it unlocked properly on my unit. No more error popups

Big thank you to Todd Driscoll and Garmin support for sending it 2nd-Day Air