Thread: Watts Bar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Watts Bar?

How does this lake compare to the other lakes in the TVA system. Opinions Please. Likes, Dislikes

2. Member
    IMO Watts Bar is one if the better lakes on the TVA system. You can fish shallow or deep. Whatever your strengths are that's how you can catch them. Normally you wont catch big bass like you would at Chick or Guntersville but in the past little big it has taken in the high 20s to win some durbys and heard a few weeks ago someone caught a 12 lber. The grass is starting to grow back and you can tell its helping the fishing there a lot. To me its one of few lake you can fish anyway you want to a catch fish.

3. Member
    And due to it's location, no where near the boat traffic of the Chick.

4. Member
    I was on it last weekend and was really surprised how little boat traffic was on this lake compared to Guntersville, Douglas, Chick.
    I know none prob get smashed as hard as Chick and Guntersville but while driving around this lake it really has a good mix of everything. Deep, shallow, mid depth, points, ledges, bluffs,Islands, smallmouth, largemouth,spots. Whats not to like. Just wondered if many of you guys fished it much

5. Member
    I live 5 minutes from it, looks really good only been twice not much traffic on it, I usually drive another 30 minutes to the chick thou..

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    And due to it's location, no where near the boat traffic of the Chick.
    Shhhh

7. Member
    Heading there now.....fingers crossed

8. Member
    You guys that live around that area have no idea how lucky you are to have that many big lakes around. I live in the arm pit of the fishing world. And I'm married to it because of the family biz. My own fault I guess. Should have went to school. Hoping to relocate some day if I live long enough or save enough money. Come on IRA, GROW!!!

9. Member
    Agree! I live in North Georgia and thank the Good Lord every day that I live as close as I do to as many terrific lakes as I do, Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Lanier, Weiss, Guntersville, Tims Ford, etc. Whatever you want, you can be there in 30 minutes to two hours, just pick your species, Spots, Largemouth, Smallmouth. Truly blessed indeed.

10. Member
    I do have an idea how lucky I am. I lived in Oregon for 60 years (the Slime Rocket State) The Columbia was amazing but the warm water species were not respected by our state powers above. I will not go on a rant but am thankful to now live in a state where there are many large lakes and the peoples attitude is so much different.

11. Member
    I don't know if the idea of daming up the Tn river was one guys idea or a team of guys idea or if they even knew it would create such great fisheries but they should be honored somehow if they're not already.

12. Member
    One of the two things, TVA and WWII leadership, that FDR did well on.

Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    I don't know if the idea of daming up the Tn river was one guys idea or a team of guys idea or if they even knew it would create such great fisheries but they should be honored somehow if they're not already.
    FDR created TVA in the 30's, one of the many parts of the New Deal in an attempt to get the states out of the great depression. TVA built the dams to generate jobs and electricity. The fishing part of it is a very beneficial side effect.

My dad and brothers make an annual trip to Watt's Bar, will be headed up there a week from tomorrow for a 4 day weekend. The lack of pressure is a welcome relief after battling all of the boats on KY and Barkley that I normally fish.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

i have never been a fan of the bass fishing on Watts bar. But i have killed many huge buffalo while bowfishing there! Its full of them. Tried bass fishing two different wkds in the month of May and only caught a few dinks each time. I prefer Douglas if im heading that way from WNC. However, Pickwick is the bomb!
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

15. Member
    My dad is fishing Watts Bar for the next two or three weeks, I'll be down from the 22nd-29th. He has been fishing the lake for close to 35 years. We love it down there as it's never crowded. If you see a red/black/white z521 w/power poles give us a wave! We're staying out of Arrowhead!

Quote Originally Posted by mac4466 View Post
    My dad is fishing Watts Bar for the next two or three weeks, I'll be down from the 22nd-29th. He has been fishing the lake for close to 35 years. We love it down there as it's never crowded. If you see a red/black/white z521 w/power poles give us a wave! We're staying out of Arrowhead!
    My brother has a house on Whites creek so right there with you. White stratos 285 w/ evinrude. Will be there 21st-24th. My brother said he has been smashing them the last couple of weeks.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson

We had 23 lbs to win a tournament on Watts Bar last week and didn't get a bite in the same area today and had to scramble to get a limit. The fish are moving around and in all 3 stages of the spawn right now. Ran into Skylar Hamilton after the tournament today when we stopped to eat. He was fishing Watts Bar today awaiting the BASS Open at Chick next week. He told us he saw several bass on beds today. The fish should get a little more predictable in a couple of weeks. This lake has great potential if they leave the grass alone.

18. Member
    Were a TON of boats on water yesterday...we had a small club tourney and it took 13 to win. I had a 5 pound smallie.....was exciting.

Any last minute reports? I should be hitting the water in Whites creek shortly after noon tomorrow weather permitting

20. Member
    I'm gonna give it a shot in the am.. was gonna go down to lake chick and fish a little amd watch the pros but the weather doesn't look the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast