List of things I need to fix

I think I had posted about one of these things on the basscat owners forum, but I feel like posting all the issues I'm currently having and figuring out what to do to fix them and if these are common problems or if it's something I'm doing. Hopefully this doesn't come off as a rant, because it's not a rant. Just looking for some insight and guidance.

What you need to know about my boat:
    1. 2012 Puma FTD
    2. Purchased late 2011 (which makes my boat a little over 5 years old)
    3. When I purchased the boat, I used my existing puma trailer that I had at the time
    4. It has stayed outside most of it's life, but under an aurora cover (which is showing signs of wear as a result). It spent 1 full year stored in a garage.
    5. I'll be the first to admit that I don't baby my boat and I use it as a tool for catching fish

List of things I have replaced:
    1. Trailer (I should have purchased new trailer when I got the new boat)

• Previous trailer was for a 2007 puma and didn't exactly fit the new 2012 hull
    • Fenders were wearing on the side of the hull where it was making contact
    • Electrical was going bad and carpet on bunks was coming off

2. All compartment lights
    • String lights started falling out of their tracks and yellowing
    • Some just quit working
    • Replaced with blue water LED compartment lights

3. Deck lights
    • Quit working and were yellowing
    • Replaced with new LED versions purchased from Basscat and have been very pleased with them

4. Windshields (full size)

• Began cracking and were rubbing against gelcoat on consoles
    • Replaced with smaller versions last year
    • Smaller versions are now showing signs of cracking and don't fit correctly (yes I tried every way possible of mounting them so that they wouldn't make contact with gelcoat but couldn't find a spot where they didnt. Yes I installed the rubber spacers)

5. Rubber padding on passenger side for rods
    • Essentially melted and was getting black sticky residue over everything
    • Replaced with new padding ordered from basscat. Will see how long it holds up.

6. Driver and passenger seats
    • Started showing signs within the first 2 years around the stitching
    • Finally began splitting at the seams and cracking on top of headrest and on bolsters after 3 years
    • Called about getting them replaced in 2015, but was told they were out of warranty so I purchased new ones in October of 2015
    • Was told the new seats were made out of a different material and should hold up better. So far so good. Will wait and see.

List of things that still need to be replaced or fixed;
    1. Lighted hand rails
    • Cracking and the white light is yellowing

2. Carpet
    • I would like to replace all the carpet, but the main problem is the front deck
    • Carpet is showing signs of accelerated wear at the front pedestal seat mount. Two holes have worn through the carpet on each side of the mount and you can see metal showing from what I guess is the pedestal bracket under the carpet.
    • This is where I stand while I'm fishing, but I'd expect it to hold up longer than it has

3. Pedestal mount bushings
    • All the bushing have cracked and busted with the exception of the one up front
    • I'd contribute that to the co-anglers I've had throughout the years who request to use the rear seat and then lean back when setting the hook. They weren't small guys either
    • Not sure how the middle one got busted as it has never been used

4. Boat cover
    • I purchased my current cover through basscat a month after buying the boat
    • Within the last year it has started leaking a little around some of the areas where it pools up a little
    • Seams on the rear right has torn where the strap is
    • Was planning on ordering new strapless cover anyway because I hate straps

5. Water getting into my compartments
    • Water/moisture is getting into all my boxes on the front deck and then also into the under seat storage
    • Water in rod boxes appear to be running from the nose of the boat. Can see discoloration in carpet where its running down the edge next to center storage compartments
    • Typically only happens when I'm fishing in the rain
    • Water pooled up in driver side rod box because no drain hole. I just drilled a hole in it yesteday. Hopefully this will prevent water from pooling.
    • There was already a hole in passenger side box. Can't remember if it was already there or if my boat mechanic drilled it for me. Water isn't pooling in it, but there is condensation on rods/reels and underside of lid.
    • All my main storage boxes up front get some degree of moisture or condensation in them. The big storage box is the worth. Water was actually pooled up in it saturday (will explain next).
    • Friday night I decided to clean my bilge by putting mean green into the bilge area and fill with water so I could go drive it around and let it slosh about. Got back home and open the drain plug to let water drain out. Next day I get to the lake and open my boxes and every box had moisture in it. My passenger rod box had green water in it. It suddenly dawned on me that water rushed all the way to the front of the boat when I will come to a complete stop. You may say to yourself that isn't possible because basscat puts a block of foam in the bottom of the boat to prevent this. About 2 years ago this very foam block became dislodge from its location and was no longer doing its job. After talking to a few basscat owner, he told me just to remove it and so I did. Box of foam was wrapped in a plastic bag but was water logged. This answers some of my questions as to how water might be getting into my compartments, but the only hitch is that I don't drive around with my bilge full of water.

6. Oxidation on top of gunnel and front and boat rear corners
    • After speaking to a guy on this forum, he said he thinks that may be caused from the cover and spending its life outside
    • He said that aurora covers are bad for keeping heat in and this causes the cloudy look in the clear coat
    • Taking it to him to look at to see if it's something he can fix

7. "Fading" on rear corners where the pin striping is
    • This may simply be related to #5
    • I had a gel coat guy do some work on the side where the boat had gotten scratched and he looked at it and said he thought it could have been moisture related
    • The pin striping is silver and he said it looked like the silver flake was trying to come up through the black that was next to it
    • Essentially making the black on either side of the silver pin stripe turn grey almost likes it's fading
    • Most people probably would even notice it, but it bothers me and when I take my boat over the the gentleman mentioned in #5 I will have him look at that too

8. (This may be my biggest issue and it may be my fault but need to get advice on it anyway) Gel coat chipping on the boot where the edges are
    • Yes, I take my boat into shallow areas when fishing, but using my trolling motor
    • Typically in sandy areas where there are bushes that I can flip or when I'm beaching my boat
    • I did scratch the hell out of my boat at Cherokee lake back in 2013 at the BFL regional thanks to practicing by myself and the lake not having docks at the ramps
    • Scratches go from the keel to the rear, but after coming home and inspecting the bottom I only saw one spot where I actually chipped the gelcoat
    • This weekend I got up under the boat to look and noticed many more places where the gel coat has come off and I can see fiberglass. Non of the spots are np more than 2" long and maybe only 1/8th to a 1/4 inch wide. All of the spots are on the edges. None on any of the flat spots.
    • I've never run my boat onto a shallow spot with the big motor but have idled over a few submerged standing timber (3-4 times) or gotten stock on some some stumps while on the trolling motor. Have hit a few small floaters at places like High Rock, Jordan and Falls after a heavy rain.
    • Mainly just want to know if this is typical from me being too rough on it or if I need to have it looked at. Will be getting these spots filled in at the end of the season this year.

9. (Forgot to add this) Brakes on 1 year old trailer are already squeaking even after I let off the brakes on the truck. Wondering if the tongue is sticking and not fully releasing.

I know this is a lot to read and take in, but if anyone has had similar issues and how you fixed or resolved the ones that might clearly be my fault, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by crwood; 04-11-2017 at 08:28 AM.

I agree 100% on the cover on a boat stored outside, specially in the sun, it will eat up the clear gel pretty dam quick, dark covers are brutally hot underneath and can ruin seats and carpet too.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

3. Member
    I have a 2007 Puma in which I am the fourth owner and have had very few issues. I needed to do some updating and general maintenance into it going in and some I did not foresee, but that is normal with any used boat. Most of what I am reading in your post comes from being under cover outside for a long periods of time and (not to accuse) but maybe harder than normal use. Mother nature is brutal on the finishes of any bass boat and over time it will ruin one. I fish tidal water and run in and out of flats and creeks all the time and have no where near that extent of hull blemishing and wear. For its age, I would consider my 07 just in good as shape as some quite newer. It will be time at the end of this year to replace my bunks and hardware but after 10-11 years it is expected. You may want to make sure the missing areas of gel coat on your hull are not "popped" hull blisters and take care of that hull as that is very important, but you say they are on the rakes which sounds like it came in contact with something to chip/gouge the gel. Check your compartment seal material to make sure it is not degraded. I can fish in the pouring down rain and even clean the carpet and not get hardly a drop in the compartments. Aside from replacing the weathered items and buffing/wet sanding out the oxidation/scratches, I am not sure anything else that can be done to repair You could send a few pics to BCB of the underside of the hull and I am sure they can give you some good insight. I hear ya on the trailer thing, It all depends on how many miles and use was on the 07 trailer before it gave out. You probably would have been better off just getting a matching 12 trailer when you got the new boat.

4. Member
    I have experience with some of these- Here's my 2 cents. Good luck with your repairs.

1. Lighted hand rails
    • Cracking and the white light is yellowing
    If you put too much pressure on these, they will begin to craze. I had to replace one that had it very bad from straddling the gunwale and putting too much of my considerable body weight on it.

2. Carpet
    • I would like to replace all the carpet, but the main problem is the front deck
    • Carpet is showing signs of accelerated wear at the front pedestal seat mount. Two holes have worn through the carpet on each side of the mount and you can see metal showing from what I guess is the pedestal bracket under the carpet.
    • This is where I stand while I'm fishing, but I'd expect it to hold up longer than it has
    Do you wear boots or sneakers when you fish? Even in the winter I try to wear softer soled shoes/boots in the boat. My Vibram soled boots seemed to be very hard on the carpet.

4. Boat cover
    • I purchased my current cover through basscat a month after buying the boat
    • Within the last year it has started leaking a little around some of the areas where it pools up a little
    • Seams on the rear right has torn where the strap is
    • Was planning on ordering new strapless cover anyway because I hate straps
    I think 5 years is about all I ever managed when I had a boat cover that is left out in the elements all year.

5. Water getting into my compartments
    • Water/moisture is getting into all my boxes on the front deck and then also into the under seat storage
    • Water in rod boxes appear to be running from the nose of the boat. Can see discoloration in carpet where its running down the edge next to center storage compartments
    • Typically only happens when I'm fishing in the rain
    BCB owners board FAQ has tips on troubleshooting the source of this.
    • Water pooled up in driver side rod box because no drain hole. I just drilled a hole in it yesteday. Hopefully this will prevent water from pooling.
    Have you read the BCB owners board FAQ section on this? They are adamant about NOT drilling drain holes. Are you sure you ae draining water into bilge, and not into a foam compartment?

• There was already a hole in passenger side box. Can't remember if it was already there or if my boat mechanic drilled it for me. Water isn't pooling in it, but there is condensation on rods/reels and underside of lid.

• All my main storage boxes up front get some degree of moisture or condensation in them. The big storage box is the worth. Water was actually pooled up in it saturday (will explain next).
    Could be too tight a seal on your compartments can cause condensation. Try leaving your compartments cracked open when storing

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    I have a 2007 Puma in which I am the fourth owner and have had very few issues. I needed to do some updating and general maintenance into it going in and some I did not foresee, but that is normal with any used boat. Most of what I am reading in your post comes from being under cover outside for a long periods of time and (not to accuse) but maybe harder than normal use. Mother nature is brutal on the finishes of any bass boat and over time it will ruin one. I fish tidal water and run in and out of flats and creeks all the time and have no where near that extent of hull blemishing and wear. For its age, I would consider my 07 just in good as shape as some quite newer. It will be time at the end of this year to replace my bunks and hardware but after 10-11 years it is expected. You may want to make sure the missing areas of gel coat on your hull are not "popped" hull blisters and take care of that hull as that is very important, but you say they are on the rakes which sounds like it came in contact with something to chip/gouge the gel. Check your compartment seal material to make sure it is not degraded. I can fish in the pouring down rain and even clean the carpet and not get hardly a drop in the compartments. Aside from replacing the weathered items and buffing/wet sanding out the oxidation/scratches, I am not sure anything else that can be done to repair You could send a few pics to BCB of the underside of the hull and I am sure they can give you some good insight. I hear ya on the trailer thing, It all depends on how many miles and use was on the 07 trailer before it gave out. You probably would have been better off just getting a matching 12 trailer when you got the new boat.
    I'll need to crawl up under the boat with a light and take a better look at the gel coat and see if there are any blisters.

6. Member
    I'm at the same crossroad with my 06 Puma. I purchased mine 2.5 years ago and been working on it ever since. The first year I had it, I replaced the electronics and fixed some electrical shorts on the bow caused by shoddy wiring from the previous owner. Additionally, I replaced the carpet, steering helm, trailer lights, brakes, bearings repacked, bunks, and the usual maintenance stuff for the motor. Next, I need to fixed my cracked trailer fenders and will probably repair the cracks and have them sprayed with Line X. Lastly, I also have some gouges on the bottom of the hull and have filled them temporary with Marine Tex just to protect the fiberglass and prevent further damage. This fall, I will probably ship my boat to Toledo Fiberglass and put a gorilla hull on it and have them fix my spider cracks in the splashwell while it's there. As bad as I would love to trade it in and get a new cat, I know what I have now and it's paid for.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

7. Member
    Sunshine / UV will break down almost ANYTHING. Leave it outside, you get what you get. Sounds like you treat the boat extremely roughly, but expect it to look brand new regardless? Probably not a reasonable expectation. I have seen 20 year old 'cats that look brand new. I have seen 1 year old 'cats that look like they are 20 years old. It is all in how they are treated / maintained.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Sunshine / UV will break down almost ANYTHING. Leave it outside, you get what you get. Sounds like you treat the boat extremely roughly, but expect it to look brand new regardless? Probably not a reasonable expectation. I have seen 20 year old 'cats that look brand new. I have seen 1 year old 'cats that look like they are 20 years old. It is all in how they are treated / maintained.
    Sadly not everyone can afford to have a nice climaate controlled garage to keep their boat inside so they have to do what they can to protect them.. Maybe he hasn't treated it perfect but he's tried a lot more to protect it than I've seen some other boat owners do.. If he uses his boat as a tool.. refereeing to the hull marks.. than he's most likely fishing where he needs to fish to get bites.. I can tell you the bottom of the hull of my cat isn't perfect.. I do however try to patch any gouges with at least Marine Tex ..
    Like the OP stated my boat is for catching fish and not someone's trailer queen.. When it get's bad enough I'll send it over to Doug at D&T boat works to have a complete remake.. My boat has won me lots of money from Lake Seminole... Eufauala .. To The Alablama River and even the Lower Appalachicola River Basin.. Don't misunderstand I try to keep my boat clean and looking at it's best but if your fishing in the right places at the right times you're going to get those scratches on the hull of your boat and those few little dings on the top cap as well..

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
    Sadly not everyone can afford to have a nice climaate controlled garage to keep their boat inside so they have to do what they can to protect them.. Maybe he hasn't treated it perfect but he's tried a lot more to protect it than I've seen some other boat owners do.. If he uses his boat as a tool.. refereeing to the hull marks.. than he's most likely fishing where he needs to fish to get bites.. I can tell you the bottom of the hull of my cat isn't perfect.. I do however try to patch any gouges with at least Marine Tex ..
    Like the OP stated my boat is for catching fish and not someone's trailer queen.. When it get's bad enough I'll send it over to Doug at D&T boat works to have a complete remake.. My boat has won me lots of money from Lake Seminole... Eufauala .. To The Alablama River and even the Lower Appalachicola River Basin.. Don't misunderstand I try to keep my boat clean and looking at it's best but if your fishing in the right places at the right times you're going to get those scratches on the hull of your boat and those few little dings on the top cap as well..
    Pretty sure he's trying to say don't expect it to look brand new if it's been left outside and rode hard. It is what it is. Too much exposure to the sun will pretty much f**k anything up

10. Member
    Most of your fixes can be found by doing searches on both the owners board and here.
    Many issues you have can be corrected by replacing with new parts. Even the handrails are sold on the BCB store.
    New Carpet for bunks, and the deck can be purchased. I had all this done on my 98 Jag. But had a professional shop do it.
    They also sell the rod pads for the passenger sides.
    As a means to fix the gel coat, I also had the same shop restore the gel coat and fix spots where there was fiberglass showing on the hull.
    The new seats (2013-newer) are much better quality and will last a very long time.
    Leaks in the compartments often come from the latches leaking. There is a thread specific to compartment leaks.
    if its seals, those can also be purchased from the BCB store.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
    Thanks Victor. Sadly you are correct and I haven't been able to afford that ideal climate controlled garage that I have been wanting and currently don't have anything to store it under. Was lucky enough to keep it in one of my buddy's garages for almost a year before he had to use that space for his business. I'm hoping to have something to keep it under soon as I am looking at purchasing a house that has an attached garaged, detached carport, and enough land for me to build the detached garage that I want. I've tried to take care of it, but shit happens. I'll look into getting some marine tex to fish the spots on my hull as I didn't know there were so many bad spots until the other night. Just to clarify, my first boat was a 2004 triton that I bought when it was 3 years old and I had that boat for 4 years and it stayed outside as well and was under a cover most of the time and the carpet was still fine when I sold it, the windshield wasn't cracking, the boxes didn't leak, the gel coat on top wasn't clouding up, and I fished the same lakes with it that I have with my cat and there was no missing gel coat off the bottom when I sold it. Only thing I had to replace were the seats. I know there are several things that are a result of me using it like a fishing boat, but there are also things that I thought would have held up longer.

12. Member

Pic of the carpet up front

13. Member
    I think one of the above posters hit the nail on the head for a lot of the issues. A covered boat in the sun is like an easy bake oven. If its a little wet when covered it will rain under the cover, and in compartments. Hope you can find something to put it under to keep direct sun off the boat and cover. I did that with a boat 20 years ago and in a couple of years it was crazing and looking pretty bad. A cheap portable carport will help a lot to keep the temps down.

14. Member
    I keep my 2013 Eyra outside using the double cover method. I have a sunbrella cover that I put on first and use the white dust cover over it if there's precipitation in the forecast. Cover is 2 years old and doesn't have a mark on it. If there is not rain in the forecast I'll use just the dust cover, and I haven't had any issues with the boat getting overly hot in the summer. Then again I do live in NY

15. Member
    I haven't used my dust cover in a long time. I'm more than likely going to get everything on the boat fixed and then put it up for sale and move on.

We have sat on this one and not commented. We have a lot of respect for the demeanor which many of you have exhibited.

For one example: The carpeting in a Bass Cat model is well known to be the very best in the market, and we sell it frequently for replacement on other brands as a result. This is the 24 ounce carpeting still in use today. All carpeting is a Polyolefin fiber and the largest difference is the builder, most is from the original Phillips 66 raw material patent. Carpeting is also different in the stitch count per inch and denier of the strand. We try hard to buy the best components we can and the carpeting is well known to be just that. The difference in weights mentioned are that one brands uses a 15 ounce, and another a 17-18 ounce, while another has a 20 ounce variation. We only stock a 24 ounce carpeting and have for some time. The top wear and UV would be better on heavier denier and stitching, and then there is the rubber backing on various brands and more detail on what makes one better.

BCB

17. Member
    Other folks have pointed out the fact that the boat is kept outdoors and that definitely contributes to premature wear on just about everything, even if covered. If you use the boat often and treat it like a "tool", any fiberglass boat is going to have issues with things breaking. You may consider a high end aluminum for your next boat as those things can take a beating and can be rigged with the large outboards.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    Other folks have pointed out the fact that the boat is kept outdoors and that definitely contributes to premature wear on just about everything, even if covered. If you use the boat often and treat it like a "tool", any fiberglass boat is going to have issues with things breaking. You may consider a high end aluminum for your next boat as those things can take a beating and can be rigged with the large outboards.
    Won't be purchasing an aluminum boat anytime soon unless it's to have a second boat. Have thought about buying one just to have for tournaments at high rock lake, eno section at the upper end of falls lake, or dan river section of Kerr lake, but other than those three places an aluminum boat would do me no good.

I have spent some time on the top cap this week trying to remove the oxidation/cloudiness from the parts of the top cap where the cover makes contact. Carpet will follow as soon as I find someone in my area that has experience replacing it. I was told by a friend that it's not the best thing to try doing myself and to let someone do it that has done it before as it can be a PITA.