Location of skimmer transducer for side and down scan

Would anyone that has installed the skimmer transducer for side and down scan please upload a picture of the location and let me know if you have problems losing the bottom while on pad? Ready to get a new Elite 9 Ti up and running, but I don't want to keep punching holes in the transom trying to find the best location for the skimmer.

Thanks!

2. Member
    Mine is mounted to the jackplate. It doesn't read while on pad, and I wouldn't want it to. Those big transducers put too much torque on the standard mounts. I use a transducer shield and saver mount for my Humminbird HDSI transducer. I have a shoot through hull transducer for running. It is epoxied down in the bilge area as far back as I could get it. Has worked perfectly for 5 years.

I did the same as dmoshaq. Transducer on the jackplate. I still use my in dash flasher for when I'm on plane.

Tom

4. Member
    I also have mine mounted to my jack plate and use a shoot thru for on plane depth readings. Before I had the jack plate, I made a mount out of a piece of aluminum, and attached it to the motor bracket to keep from drilling any holes in the transom.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Craig, have you posted this in the Lowrance forum? I know if that single transducer is my only option for 2D and imaging, I would want it in the water when on plane as well.

Reggie, haven't posted it in the Lowrance forum yet, I thought the configuration of the transom on the Cobra might have a sweet spot location that someone may have found. I don't think they make a splitter so I can choose my through hull transducer while on plane and then switch back to the skimmer when graphing and imaging. With some of the low water conditions, I like to have my map up and also sonar while running just to keep an eye on depth. Saved my butt on Stamford a couple years ago when I was in the middle of the lake and depth went to 1.5', fortunately I wasn't WOT and was keeping an eye on the depth finder.

When did you get the updated siggy? Looks good, but has been in the works for 4-5 yrs? I had the chance to buy a 2010 210 Champ in 2011, should have taken that deal! What is life without some regrets?

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Will the connector on the back of your unit take the shoot through the hull transducer plug? If so, Lowrance made (as in NLA) some switches, one for sharing 2 transducers with 1 unit (SB-10BL) and one for sharing 1 transducer with 2 units (SB-9BL). I put one of the latter on my 210 to swap the transducer in my bilge between the LMS-520c in the dash and my HDS-10 on the console. When on plane, I use the 520 for 2D and the HDS for full screen mapping.

https://www.google.com/#q=lowrance+SB-10BL

I got the new siggy last Thurs ... only 6 years and 26 days, but who's counting?? Charger has started building the 210 and is working on a 198, so the Champion Wide Body Elite hulls are still living. I'm also seeing a lot of new guys on the Champ board picking up used 210s. Apparently a lot more popular than Genmar or PE gave them credit or advertising for.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    Reggie, haven't posted it in the Lowrance forum yet, I thought the configuration of the transom on the Cobra might have a sweet spot location that someone may have found. I don't think they make a splitter so I can choose my through hull transducer while on plane and then switch back to the skimmer when graphing and imaging. With some of the low water conditions, I like to have my map up and also sonar while running just to keep an eye on depth. Saved my butt on Stamford a couple years ago when I was in the middle of the lake and depth went to 1.5', fortunately I wasn't WOT and was keeping an eye on the depth finder.

When did you get the updated siggy? Looks good, but has been in the works for 4-5 yrs? I had the chance to buy a 2010 210 Champ in 2011, should have taken that deal! What is life without some regrets?
    I just finished a hds install on my boat I would not choose the totslscan ducer for the back. Okay if you want it on the troller but it is heavy as sin. In my opinion if side imaging is not high on your list for the front, I would go lss2 jp mounted and shoot thru hull puck for running. Then hdi ducer for 2d chirp and down scan at the bow.

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Guys, the Elite-9 Ti is not a HDS unit and only has one port for a transducer, no Ethernet or Imaging connector like my HDS gen3, so TotalScan is the only choice for a transducer if you're going to have 2D/CHIRP and imaging at the console.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Produc...lite-9_Ti.aspx

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Guys, the Elite-9 Ti is not a HDS unit and only has one port for a transducer, no Ethernet or Imaging connector like my HDS gen3, so TotalScan is the only choice for a transducer if you're going to have 2D/CHIRP and imaging at the console.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Produc...lite-9_Ti.aspx
    OOPS.. I was on my cell phone replying and forgot he had that unit. That is correct, what I was referring to is only on HDS units.

Mine is off of the left side of the slide water jackplate. It had thread holes on it for an e ladder and I got a mount made to fit it.

12. Member
    Probably won't help you at all, but this is the location I have my Lss2 transducer and Skimmer transducer on my Coral. Works great. The picture was taken before I cleaned up the cables though.

Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

^ Perfect! That is where I have been looking at to install the skimmer tranducer. Do you lose the bottom while using sonar and up on the pad? I know it is pointless to use downscan at that speed, but I always like to be able to see a depth on my lakes. When some are only 13% full, things can sneak up on you quick!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    Probably won't help you at all, but this is the location I have my Lss2 transducer and Skimmer transducer on my Coral. Works great. The picture was taken before I cleaned up the cables though.

Just a heads up....Lowrance is making a revised total scan bracket. Idk if you have had any issues with your bracket, but if you call Lowrance they will send you the updated bracket.

15. Member
    That is what I need to do. I busted off my 2d ducer in Texas a couple weeks ago. Luckily my LSS1 was able to give me depth and downscan readings.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.