Even the PRO's samurai hookset on Spinning gear....

Seriously it boggles me that EVERY tournament I watch I see PRO's do the samurai hookset with spinning gear and lose fish. It seems that reeling down on the fish and getting them in the boat would be better. It has now become a thing with my buddies....each time a pro does it we yell "SAMURAI" and make wagers on if they land the fish. rant over.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

I LMAO when I see them grab the line, throw their rod down and hand-line the fish at the boat! (ranting continued)

3. Member
    No sissy sticks here. Rip those lips!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    I LMAO when I see them grab the line, throw their rod down and hand-line the fish at the boat! (ranting continued)
    If I would have done that as a kid, my Dad and Granddad would have slapped me silly!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    It's just amazing how poorly these professional fisherman handle their equipment compared to you guys.

Just sayin' !!

6. Member
    Ok, so what the heck is a samuri hookset

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgkd View Post
    Ok, so what the heck is a samuri hookset
    Im not sure either...however after a little web search regarding samuri's, I am thinking that the fisherman reels fish towards the boat then with a great jerk of the rod the fish is then propelled thru the air, once the airborne fish reaches the boat, the fisherman quickly unsheathes a katana and slices the fish completely in half. Both sections of the fish are put in the livewell for weigh-in. Sorta like the game fruit slice, or at least that's how I'm envisioning it being done....I could be completely wrong about this.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Im not sure either...however after a little web search regarding samuri's, I am thinking that the fisherman reels fish towards the boat then with a great jerk of the rod the fish is then propelled thru the air, once the airborne fish reaches the boat, the fisherman quickly unsheathes a katana and slices the fish completely in half. Both sections of the fish are put in the livewell for weigh-in. Sorta like the game fruit slice, or at least that's how I'm envisioning it being done....I could be completely wrong about this.
    Hahaha, that's funny

Ginsu Bass!? No. However, I think that IF you have the right rod, a good spinning reel with a smooth drag, AND have the drag set right, you can set the hook about as hard as your adrenaline requires without any bad things happening. If you set your drag by pulling the line just ahead of the reel, you're screwing up. Pull line off the tip of the rod, at 90 degrees to the rod. You should get a good "zzzzzzzzzzt" when you hammer a fish with any light line presentation.

IMO, sometimes the fish that comes off is one that is skin hooked in the gullet...I've boated many fish that were hooked like that, with just a 1/16" wide patch of skin holding the hook. Many fish come to the boat with their mouth wide open...tear that little bit of skin and the hook flies straight out. Not that there aren't other ways to lose a fish.

10. Member
    I have some questions regarding this. When you see them do it, is this while Dropshotting? Shakey Heads? Tube Baits? Wacky Rig? What line were they using? Braid, Mono, Floro, Braid with one or the other as a Leader? What LB Test?

I’m asking these questions because the only time I wouldn’t use a “samurai hookset” is Dropshot and maybe a lower LB Test leader on a Wacky Rig. Spinning Outfits are FAR more versatile than many often give them credit for.

The point is all joking aside there is often more to this than it would seem. Just because someone is using a spinning rod, doesn’t mean they are fishing in with 4 or 6 lb test. But even if they are most of the better lines these days are a lot less fragile than many give them credit for. And you can bet most of the “Pro’s” are going to be using the best equipment their Sponsors can buy! lol

I often use a MH Spinning rod with 15 Braid and 12 lb Floro Leader Tubing for SM. Long Casts and Deep water require a solid hookset. I also use this same rod to skip frogs under docks with 40 LB Braid.

I think there is a lot of unwarranted stimulus associated with Spinning Tackle revolving around the idea that it’s only for finesse applications. And I also believe there is even more confusion between the difference of a “Quick” and a “Powerful” Hookset. You can set the hook very quickly without very much power at all. It takes a lot of practice, but hey it’s the Pro’s first day fishing right? ;)

One thing to consider when you see them missing fish on the Samurai Hookset is maybe due to the fact that they have figured out that the bite is soooo finicky that if you don't set immediately when you feel a pickup you will miss the fish because they will drop the bait if you give them a micro second before setting. But even then the best of the best will still miss fish doing this.

Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 on this topic.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    I have some questions regarding this. When you see them do it, is this while Dropshotting? Shakey Heads? Tube Baits? Wacky Rig? What line were they using? Braid, Mono, Floro, Braid with one or the other as a Leader? What LB Test?

I’m asking these questions because the only time I wouldn’t use a “samurai hookset” is Dropshot and maybe a lower LB Test leader on a Wacky Rig. Spinning Outfits are FAR more versatile than many often give them credit for.

The point is all joking aside there is often more to this than it would seem. Just because someone is using a spinning rod, doesn’t mean they are fishing in with 4 or 6 lb test. But even if they are most of the better lines these days are a lot less fragile than many give them credit for. And you can bet most of the “Pro’s” are going to be using the best equipment their Sponsors can buy! lol

I often use a MH Spinning rod with 15 Braid and 12 lb Floro Leader Tubing for SM. Long Casts and Deep water require a solid hookset. I also use this same rod to skip frogs under docks with 40 LB Braid.

I think there is a lot of unwarranted stimulus associated with Spinning Tackle revolving around the idea that it’s only for finesse applications. And I also believe there is even more confusion between the difference of a “Quick” and a “Powerful” Hookset. You can set the hook very quickly without very much power at all. It takes a lot of practice, but hey it’s the Pro’s first day fishing right? ;)

One thing to consider when you see them missing fish on the Samurai Hookset is maybe due to the fact that they have figured out that the bite is soooo finicky that if you don't set immediately when you feel a pickup you will miss the fish because they will drop the bait if you give them a micro second before setting. But even then the best of the best will still miss fish doing this.

I love everything in this post.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post

Please stop with the common sense here....................

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Please stop with the common sense here....................
    Then tell the OP to put this in the daily funnies instead of the tips and techniques! lol