USA My 181 is the most fun boat I have ever driven

Took my 181 across the state to fish Lake St Clair this weekend. I had hoped have some chop and rougher water to see what all the rage is about with the champion hull. We got really Rough water. 2 to 3ft and this boat just doesnt care. skips across the tops without slamming too hard and when the waves get too big just trim down and use the nose to cut them. Could not be more happy with this thing. Video shows a short clip of the first run across the lake when it was still calm. almost a 20min ride at WOT!

Video was done in Go Pros quik app sorry about the music if thats not your thing

Man I hate to quarter waves but boat looked like it was handling it just fine. Congrats!
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Member
    I totally agree with you on the ride. I bought the same boat in Blue/Silver back in January and only had it out a few times, but it takes the chop like a pro.

I am running a QS Laser II 25P and turning 6000 if I let it go that high. What are you running and RPM's? I am probably going to have the prop tuned as it is just as it was 22 yrs ago and doubt its ever been messed with. No dings or dents.

(I had to get two switch boxes replaced last week as it would only turn up 4000 so I knew something wasn't right).
    "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned.
    When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

- Mark Twain 1935 -

4. Member
    My first champion was a 181 & I do miss it sometimes.

5. Member
    Ive got the same prop. 25p laser 2. Turning 5800 rpm @53-55mph fully loaded. Got a couple dings tho and I can tell the prop is slipping pretty bad.

6. Member
    And another champ lover is born.

Ps carpet looks like my 186 I just got rid of, well used!

7. Member
    do you have a video of the 3 footers?
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

8. Banned
    I never have wanted a GoPro, but it would be cool if most of us had them and recorded some of the water we ran. I have a buddy that removed the grab bars from the passenger side of his boat because they got in "his" way. Well, I gave him a lesson the other day about how the passenger feels in rough water. Ol' buddy didn't realize that having that steering wheel really made life different than being in the passenger side. We got into the ramp soaking wet because the wind was blowing the spray right back over us (blowing up to 30 mph that day) and he says "Mike, I haven't ever been scared like that before in a boat!" I said "now you know how we feel riding with you". I was running through legitimate 3' rollers at full throttle and we were catching some air. It was fun... Scaring him was priceless. (yeah, yeah, don't give me the responsibility speech because my buddy and I are both crazy)

This boat is soooo much smoother than my Skeeter was, that thing would rattle your teeth out.

9. Banned
    Those 18 ft Champs are awesome in rougher water! LOVED my 07 183!

10. Banned
    Fishing at St Clair now??? Kinda early isn't it? How did ya do?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    do you have a video of the 3 footers?
    Nope GoPro died

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Fishing at St Clair now??? Kinda early isn't it? How did ya do?
    Id say yeah it was a bit early. Had planned the trip a about a month and a half ago when had an early warm up. Didnt do very well at all, did not catch a thing on the main lake. caught 3 green fish in fords cove.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokin'dually View Post
    And another champ lover is born.

Ps carpet looks like my 186 I just got rid of, well used!
    Yea got a few things I need to get done before I can replace the carpet.

14. Member
    Love my 181, I've owned 3 boats and my 181 is easily the best yet.

1997 Champion 181
    Merc XR6 150