Thread: Prop testing

BBC SPONSOR

Prop testing

Finally got a break in the wind yesterday morning for a little bit. I ran my 30 X-O/B, 30 BC Performer 4, and 32 BC Performer 3.

I was solo, loaded to fish, empty livewell, 1/2 tank fuel and 60lbs ballast.

First I ran the 30 x-o/b as its my current fishing prop. I tried it at several different heights but it liked to be at 1/2" above best. I made 3 passes with it and each pass was 98.xx @ 5950. This left me scratching my head as I turned the prop on a 90 degree day to 6150 and it was in the 40s yesterday morning at safe light.

I loaded up and swapped to the 30 BC P4. Made 3 passes and it liked to be a touch above 1/2" best. It ran 98.0 @ 5850.

I swapped to the 32 BC P3 and made 3 passes with it, it liked to be a touch above 1/2" as well. It ran 98.0 @ 5850.

So I load up, scratch my head some more, change back to the 30 x-o/b and go fishin.

This morning we fished a tournament and I noticed the idle wasn't very smooth, and it would only turn 5600-5700 loaded with 2. I get the boat home and pull the cowl, start checking the plugs and find #6 is bad/fouled. I have a new set of plugs on order and should have them by Wednesday. If the wind will lay I will make a few more passes.

I reckon 98 on 5 cylinders ain't too bad?
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

2. Member
    I just knew when I started reading that you was finally break 100. You will get it eventually.

3. Member
    That thing is gonna make you work for the "Trips"
    good luck and be safe Tim.

I have 7 hours on mine now, haven't had a good stretch to run yet due to dirty water but she'll jump to 80 quick. Top has been 83.7 then got out cause of crap in water.

4. Member
    What caused the plug to foul? Not very common these days.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    What caused the plug to foul? Not very common these days.
    Too much puttin around. lol

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebob View Post
    Too much puttin around. lol

Kevin,

I had a thermostat stick open at Batesville and then I went fishin one day and idled from spot to spot. DBR adds extra oil so I believe I fouled the #6 plug the day I idled around. The wind had been blowing so much that I hadn't run hard enough to notice it. But I did notice yesterday that the idle quality sucked so that's why I started checking the plugs. Also, the plugs are the original set, I don't like to fix something that isn't broken and I tend to push the factory set of plugs a little longer than recommended.

I ordered a new set of plugs last night and I should see them by Wednesday.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

7. Member
    Sir, I want a ride in that rocket!
    Carte's Custom

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Finally got a break in the wind yesterday morning for a little bit. I ran my 30 X-O/B, 30 BC Performer 4, and 32 BC Performer 3.

I was solo, loaded to fish, empty livewell, 1/2 tank fuel and 60lbs ballast.

First I ran the 30 x-o/b as its my current fishing prop. I tried it at several different heights but it liked to be at 1/2" above best. I made 3 passes with it and each pass was 98.xx @ 5950. This left me scratching my head as I turned the prop on a 90 degree day to 6150 and it was in the 40s yesterday morning at safe light.

I loaded up and swapped to the 30 BC P4. Made 3 passes and it liked to be a touch above 1/2" best. It ran 98.0 @ 5850.

I swapped to the 32 BC P3 and made 3 passes with it, it liked to be a touch above 1/2" as well. It ran 98.0 @ 5850.

So I load up, scratch my head some more, change back to the 30 x-o/b and go fishin.

This morning we fished a tournament and I noticed the idle wasn't very smooth, and it would only turn 5600-5700 loaded with 2. I get the boat home and pull the cowl, start checking the plugs and find #6 is bad/fouled. I have a new set of plugs on order and should have them by Wednesday. If the wind will lay I will make a few more passes.

I reckon 98 on 5 cylinders ain't too bad?
    Hey Timbo, It will take all my cylinders to twist them wheels. I may can get close if I move my transducer so I turn a few more "R"s. This was 1/4 below to even with full fish load and my 29 Hydro that Todd had tightened up close to 30. Woody

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Remove that LSS2 and get your motor up
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X