oil change frequency?

2013 40hp 4 stroke Mercury 3cyl. It usually gets about 60/70 hrs running time a year, probably 40 of it trolling. I use Mercury 4 stroke synthetic oil and change oil & filter every year about this time. It uses no oil and runs great. Last year because of our drought I only put around 20/25 hrs total on it. The oil still looks to be clean as new. Any reason to change it or should it be good for another year.

Oil that has been run and then sit as you described can do some really strange things. For the price of a oil change I for one would change it out with new filter. Motors are expensive, oil changes are chump change compared to a major repair.

Just my .02 on the subject.

3. Member
    The manual for my 115 4s says change it every 100 hrs or 1 year whichever comes first.

4. Member
    I would change the oil and filter too, since you will be putting a lot of hours on it this summer. Cheap insurance. Also do the lower unit fluid to make sure there is no water contamination or particles in it. Use new washers during reassemble for the lower unit drain and vent screws. After that it's 100 hrs or one year on both again..
    Last edited by rickdb1; 04-09-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Rick

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Once every 364.99 days (or 100 hours of engine operation)- whichever occurs FIRST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Once every 364.99 days (or 100 hours of engine operation)- whichever occurs FIRST.

Rick

7. Member
    Thanks to all for the info. Oil change & lower unit change it is.