First problem with one of my 12' Talons....... damitboy!

Was fishing a lake out in 11' of water, set up on a roadbed, deployed both of the talons, no problem, then when it was time to move I hit the foot remote to pull them up, starboard came upon problem, port beeped 3 times. I thought it was stuck in the mud, so I rocked it with the trolling motor, hit the up botton, 3 beeps. Would not retract, time to break out the ratchet. Thank God I had put a 1/4" drive 7/16th socket in the boat. That was the good news, bad news was it was a short ratchet. Man it was hard to crank this thing up, so if you have talons, get you a good , HD ratchet with a long handle or a cheater bar. I'll be callin Minn Kota tomorrow as these appear to have been built July of 2015. The guy I bought the boat from, had bought them and put them on a year or so before I bought the bug from him last summer. I hope this will not be an issue.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

3. Member
    Once you got it up you never tried it again? I would have had to later just to see.

Yes today, I tilted the unit and deployed it, it deployed as usual, but will not come back up. I lubricated the unit and tried it again, just three beeps. Checked electrical connections and they were all good. Had to crank it back up again. I did this a couple more times with the same results. I have sent an email to Minn Kota.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

5. Member
    Do you have to do anything other than just ratchet up? I tried one day with mine wouldn't ratchet.

6. Member
    Have the same problem with one of my 12' Talons. I took it off last night and am taking it to get repaired
    John 16:33
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 195
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke

Sent mine back to Minn Kota, still under warranty!

jefflhoman.com

8. Member
    Isn't the warranty 5 years? 2 are on electrical and the rest on mechanical?
    John 16:33
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 195
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by T Live151 View Post
    Isn't the warranty 5 years? 2 are on electrical and the rest on mechanical?
    Yes

jefflhoman.com

10. Member
    Did you check to see if the cable popped off the roller?

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    Did you check to see if the cable popped off the roller?
    Nope, once I had deployed it several times and lubed it and had to hand crank it in, I said to heck with it! On it's way back to Minn Kota!

jefflhoman.com

12. Member
    In the future, you can take the top cap off and see what is going on in there. Sometimes it is a simple fix. I had this happen to me and the cable came off the pulley. Loosened the tension, set the cable, tightened and good to go.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047