Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, tell me what i have screwed up

So, I've been having an issue with my cranking battery and to be able to start the motor today to get back to the ramp I had to move a TM battery over to start the outboard. Problem is, I reversed the polarity on the leads when I connected it. I noticed it because the trim worked in reverse. I didn't try to start the outboard, Optimax 150. When I attached the lead I did notice a spark but just assumed it was because I forgot to turn the battery disconnect off. After I corrected the leads the motor started fine but I got some warning horns while going across the like. I believe it was three beeps but my son, who was driving, says it was 5 or 6 beeps. I thought it was twice but he says it was 4 different times with about 1.5 to 2 minutes between them. I thought it was the HDS beeping due to now GPS signal but when it happened more than once I looked the gauges and the voltmeter was slightly under 12v. Usually, it is around 14v.

Also worth noting is that when I have had to start the outboard off the TM battery before the motor ran for a few seconds at idle without any battery connected while I moved the leads back to the cranking battery. I have since been told that this can damage the rectifier.

So, does anyone have any ideas for me? Any chance I am lucky enough for this to just be a fuse?

Thanks.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Don't have an Opti, but in this thread Don shows how to test alternator and there is a fuse that you could have blown.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=25839
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

Give that I know I crossed the wires that's a likely cause. I'll go giver her a check now. Thanks for the help.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Bingo! 24+volts on the alternator. Thanks for the quick help. Never been so happy to *only* have to pay 90 bucks. If BPS has the part (unlikely) at a reasonable price (even more unlikely) I might be able to fish tomorrow as planned.

If you're ever in Raleigh, let me know and I'll buy you a beer!
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Don,

When you get in on Monday could you confirm that "878231A03" is the correct part number for my engine?

Thanks.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Well, like everything else on this motor, getting to the part to replace it is half the "fun". I was able to find it locally today at less than list price and got it replaced quickly. Motor back to producing the correct voltage. Thanks again for your help.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Good to hear
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

As you've learned, don't ever reverse polarity, and don't ever DISCONNECT from battery unless the key is OUT of the switch (never while engine is running).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Ha, yeah well I already knew not to reverse polarity but we were hanging over the rear deck lid, just a little frustrated and got sloppy. As to not disconnecting the battery while the engine is running what could that damage, what would be the signs of the problem and how would I check it if needed. I don't think I have any issues because I've been out twice since replacing the battery and the fuse and the boat has run flawlessly both times.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check for AC current between the positive and negative battery terminals, with the engine running at idle.

"Ripple" current should not exceed 0.25 VAC.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check for AC current between the positive and negative battery terminals, with the engine running at idle.

"Ripple" current should not exceed 0.25 VAC.
    OK, while at idle I set my voltmeter to AC voltage and check it at the battery terminals. I should see some VAC but not to exceed 0.25. Looks like rain for the next few days so I'll pull the boat out and check it when I have clear weather.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

OK, assuming I did this correctly it read 30vac. Also noticed a much rougher idle than normal and sometimes, not always, I had to crank longer to get it is start, around 3 seconds. And sometimes, again not always, when it took longer to start the engine would surge to higher rpm for a second or two. I didn't look at the tach but i'd guess in the 2-3k range. WOT performance is fine but I have noticed my tach jumping around a bit.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure your meter is reading 30 VAC, and not 30 mv. Big difference (most digital meters today "auto-range", and you have to manually turn that feature OFF prior to testing).

May or may not be related to your other starting complaint... let's verify the info FIRST.

Here is how the meter was set when I took the reading.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    Bruce did you actually get 30vac (what you posted) or 0.30vac?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Bruce did you actually get 30vac (what you posted) or 0.30vac?
    It was actually 30. I did it twice to make sure because that was so far from what Don said it should be I thought I had to be reading it wrong.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Member
    Ruh roh. Not that I'm questioning your meter, but if you have access to another, I'd check and compare to be sure.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Yeah, that's a good idea. Is 30vac indicative of a problem or just a ridiculous reading that can't possible be right?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    Ripple voltage should be less than .25vac, and if your original reading is accurate, you're way over that spec. Why I suggest, if you can, confirm the reading with another meter. Just a "make sure" test.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Ripple voltage should be less than .25vac, and if your original reading is accurate, you're way over that spec. Why I suggest, if you can, confirm the reading with another meter. Just a "make sure" test.
    +1

And if you get similar results, Alternator needs to be replaced (diode problem).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast