Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

And if you get similar results, Alternator needs to be replaced (diode problem).
    So 30 vac is a value that's possible to see then? Would that have been caused by disconnecting the battery while it was running or hooking up the battery backwards. The motor seems to be charging the battery just fine if that matters.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, it is possible in the case of a shunted diode (or diodes).

And yes, it could be caused by disconnecting the battery with the engine running, or a reverse-polarity connection (though the fusible link lead will most commonly burn out prior to damage).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yes, it is possible in the case of a shunted diode (or diodes).

And yes, it could be caused by disconnecting the battery with the engine running, or a reverse-polarity connection (though the fusible link lead will most commonly burn out prior to damage).
    OK, thanks. I'll double check and report back.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I checked it today with the different meter and got somewhere between 25 and 30 V AC. So does this mean I need a new alternator or is there some other part I can replace it instead?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you got high voltage at the large RED output terminal with the engine running- you have a BLOWN FUSIBLE LINK LEAD.

Replace the fusible link lead (be SURE to disconnect battery power FIRST).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

If you got high voltage at the large RED output terminal with the engine running- you have a BLOWN FUSIBLE LINK LEAD.

Replace the fusible link lead (be SURE to disconnect battery power FIRST).
    That was blown and I replaced it. The 30vac reading is accross the battery while idling.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A reading above 0.25 VAC at the battery terminals is an indication that the alternator needs to be replaced.

Make sure your meter's AUTO-RANGE feature is turned OFF.

Thanks Don. I checked it with two different meters. Neither had a auto range.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Sounds like an your alternator is toast
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely does sound that way (diode failure more than likely).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12