Thread: Rod straps

Rod straps

The new boat will be here in 2 weeks but I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about rod straps. I would typically go with the standard TH Marine rod strap but I found a picture online of an Xpress X19 with the retractable rod strap. Has anyone else used these in their boat and how hard was it to install? I've installed them on fiberglass boats in the gunnel but I think this wouldn't be as easy. I've attached a picture of the one I found that had it installed. Mine will be Seadek as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You just have to cut two holes in the deck of your new boat to install them. My 2006 X19 had them in at one time, but when I bought it and restored the boat I welded plates in and closed up the holes. I figured it would be an entry point for water and I was trying to tighten up to dry storage. I currently have just a simple single bungee cord style rod strap. Note the rectangle holes on each side in the first pic.

3. Member
    Super easy to install, it took me less than an hour to put two of them in on my 2001 X19 this winter. Like croix-man said, all you have to do is cut two small holes in the deck and they install from the underside.

If you have a hollow gunwale, this may be pf interest.

Retracting Bungee Rod Tie down

Over the years, I have tried all the rod tie downs and was never completely happy with any of them. The ones I like best are the retractable bungees used by Skeeter on some of their glass boats, but they require under deck access to tie off the loose end of the rubber cord. My RT188 came with the rubber bungee but my rods were always laying on it when I needed it so I figured out a way to mount it in the hollow gunwale. The key was figuring out a way restrain the free end of the bungee without having access to tie it off. The pic shows my design. I won't bore you with the details but if you with are interested, PM me and I will put together a PDF instruction sheet that I can email to you.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    I'm like 'croix-man' ...... these boats leak enough as is into those compartments ...... I don't think I would want to cut another passage for water.

My Skeeter had something very similar to what Bill posted above ....... but it was bungee cord. It was 1 simple hole through the gunwale and a plastic insert to keep the fiberglass hole from rubbing the bungee. The bungee simply 'tied off' to anything under the deck in the gunwale .......... the reason I know is b/c I had to replace the cord (snapped). As far as 'hooking', it just hooked onto a pad eye screwed to the deck like most rod keepers use.

Sadly the Xpress doesn't have a 'hidden cavity' in the gunwale to place these type of rod keepers.

On my X19, I just use the cheap, simple ones.

Good Luck!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci