Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what to do to catch bigger fish?

you have a pattern that has put 15lbs a day in the boat. you like fishing these techniques, but it doesn't always get keepers in the the boat. sometimes they are only 2lbers and not 3. do you keep fishing the same hoping you run into a couple 3s or5s? at a certain time do you change tactics all together. I honestly don't know how to combat fishing pressure. so i learned a technique that will almost always put fish in the boat. between that and when i don't like the exact conditions and throw something else i am catching quite a feww fish in practice. my "always catchem" technique still gets bit, but most the time they are small. the biggest setback to me is time on the water, but i have spent many hours recently on the water figuring this out. tournament day is always different though.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

2. Member
    It can be different depending on body of water, time of year, angler, and conditions. But on top, buzzbaits and big walking baits work. On bottom, big 10" worms. In the middle, big jerkbaits, crankbaits fish differently from how most fish them, and spinnerbaits still catch better than average size fish. Also, truly big fish don't school often, so cover water.
    Last edited by John Jackson; 05-15-2017 at 03:56 AM.

don't forget FiSh are Finicky too!

4. Member
    I always start out fishing whatever will put 5 keepers in the boat as quickly as possible, most of the time that's a dropshot, shakey head or little crankbait depending on where I'm at. Once I have 5 I'm much more patient even if they're all squeakers.

When I was fishing club tournaments, one year another guy and I always were 1st or 2nd in the Big Fish kitty. The two of us dominated the Big Fish, one or the other would get Big Fish and the other would get the 2nd biggest. We talked about that some, and it turned out that we always just fished the way we "fun fished", which was for big fish, not 5 fish. Neither of us placed high in the tournaments, often not having a limit. I think he used a jig quite a bit, while I'm more into plastics. I like to experiment with weird riggings and showing the fish something different. After you get your limit, you might try something slow and different?

6. Member
    If Bass Fishing has taught me nothing else over the years it’s that Big Bass will eat Small Baits and Small Bass will eat Big Baits. And Vice Versa. And in between. And Topwater in 38 degree water. And so on.

I fish Lake St Clair all the time. I’ve had absolutely PERFECT days and Big SM were being fussy while dead stick 3” senkos an 1/8 oz 2” Tubes. And I’ve had horrible atrocious conditions where 4-5 LB’ers were inhaling 1.5 oz Spinnerbaits burned in at 80 mph.

Bass fishing in general provides a wide array of opportunities. So it’s very difficult to answer a question like this. A general rule of thumb is that big baits catch big fish. But it’s not always the case. The best thing you can do is learn where the Big Fish live and then try to have an open mind on what you need to do to learn how to catch them.

The easiest way I can suggest is figure out where the big ones Spawn in a lake. Spend hours just looking for them. And if you pay attention well enough you should start to see a pattern of ingredients to look for.

Once you’ve figured that out look at your graph/map and identify potential “highways” that will lead fish to or from Spawning grounds and Summer / Winter structure. Keep in mind however this doesn’t always necessarily mean they will go deep. Some lakes they will go from a spawning flat in a 3’ creek to roaming nearby shoreline logs, riprap and other cover in 6” of water. Big ones are notorious for that (look at John Cox’s program if you don’t believe me).

The point in all this is 90% of the battle of catching Big Bass is knowing where they live at different times of the year. Then you can use your skills and experience to figure out how to catch them in the places they “should” be holding in.

The last piece of advice I can give you is don’t ever be afraid to try something completely off the wall different or fish areas that will get overlooked by other anglers. Bass don’t always bite because they’re hungry. A lot of the time it’s a reaction to something pissing them off. And seeing the same lures over and over will be harder to piss off a giant. They’re probably laughing at you instead.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

7. Member
    I am curious as to the "always put fish in the boat" method? Care to enlighten me? .
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    I am curious as to the "always put fish in the boat" method? Care to enlighten me? .
    honestly guys it is at a lake i fish often, not an everywhere every time technique. i am sure it works other places, but i haven't tried it yet.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

bigger the Lure bigger the fish! except for this RETARDED blue Gill.. I fish for BASS! haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    OU 1 pm sent
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

thanks guys. looks like i need to start throwing cranks with perch attached!
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

Often, just fishing farther out from the bank is a good start. I've found large fish often set up shop at THE biggest laydown, biggest log, biggest boulder, and/or such a spot closest to deep water. Water clarity will be a factor.

13. Member
    Some of the old school California fishermen have catching big bass kind of dialed.

https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Giant...HSSSVHFTSXYZ3H

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Bass-Zone...dp_kinw_strp_1

http://www.mikelongoutdoors.com/how-...tly-the-truth/

Dig through the Mike Long site

14. Member
    If anyone could honestly answer that question they would be cashing checks on the pro circuit's.

15. Member
    ^^^Aint that the truth! I have always been told, if you are catching small fish in an area, turn around and look out deep. The bigger fish will be in the area. You may just need to slow down. Drag a c-rig or big t-rig worm. If you have mats/thick vegetation FLIP!

16. Member
    You have to venture away from whacky rigged senkos at some point. Lol. Just kidding. But seriously, why not try other stuff on practice days and first thing in the morning on tourney days, since you know you have a technique you can fall back on?

^^^^^great idea! only problem is i am trying different coves depending on clarity and temp. but i will give it a shot Friday
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

18. Member
    Master the sonar and fish deep structure (I am not there yet) and as Denny Brauer said, you will usually catch the biggest fish in spot by fishing a jig.

19. Member
    Catch a limit, then hit the "slop" with a rat.

20. Member
    Grab your jig box and some trailers and a jig rod or two and leave ALL of the rest of your tackle at home. It definitely helps when that's the only thing you can use,you'll learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast