Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AR-10 for deer hunting

I have been wanting to buy an AR-10 to deer hunt with.

My 24 year old daughter has gotten the bug and has killed a buck opening weekend the last three years. Last year she used an old Remington 742 in .30-06, but I don't like how the gun loads. Thought an AR platform might work well since it would have an adjustable stock and not kick much. She only weighs 105 pounds.

What type of AR-10 do you guys recommend?

2. Member
    I'm a fan of the armalite def 10,hard to beat for the money. You can find them on sale often. Ive been tempted to buy a dpms in 6.5 creedmoor as well though.

An Ar10 should recoil less than a bolt action 30-06. Plenty of accuracy potential as well. Downsides to the AR10 platform is weight and cost. Plan on spending about double on an AR10 compared to an AR15.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champion221elite View Post
    An Ar10 should recoil less than a bolt action 30-06. Plenty of accuracy potential as well. Downsides to the AR10 platform is weight and cost. Plan on spending about double on an AR10 compared to an AR15.
    The Remington 742 is a semi-auto. I have been seeing DPMS AR-10's advertised around here got $759.

A savage msr10 in 6.5 creedmoor would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    The Remington 742 is a semi-auto. I have been seeing DPMS AR-10's advertised around here got $759.
    Not bad of a price. Last I looked into an AR10 they were starting around $1300 and went up from there.

Not bad of a price. Last I looked into an AR10 they were starting around $1300 and went up from there.

8. Member
    For stalking ars make a good hunting weapon. For blind hunting or shooting house hunting they suck as the magwell gets in the way when you try to rest it on a rest and have to move awkwardly to shoot at an extreme angle.

Why not get her a youth rifle. I bought a Ruger M-77 youth in 7.62x39 for my son several years ago. I've loaned it to several other kids since. I spent like $400 an d I've killed a bunch of pigs with it
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

10. Member
    My Son shoots an AR chambered in 7.62X39 and has no problem knocking down the little deer we have out here. Ballistics are similar to .30.30 so anything out to 100 yds. or so will go down. Easy gun to carry all day and recoil is very light.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

11. Member
    She has killed a few deer with her youth rifle. Just posing the question to the group. It is not a need, it is a want.

She has also killed a deer with my Thompson ProHunter in .25-06.

She he likes the old 742 in .30-06 because of the larger bullet compared to the .243 she used to use. We have 50 acres of native grasses on part of my farm and it is easy to lose deer.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old373guy View Post
    My Son shoots an AR chambered in 7.62X39 and has no problem knocking down the little deer we have out here. Ballistics are similar to .30.30 so anything out to 100 yds. or so will go down. Easy gun to carry all day and recoil is very light.
    Isn't a 7.63x39 basically a .308? I would think it would be better than a 100 yard gun.

13. Member
    Well it shoots. .308 or .311" bullet but it has less power than a 30-30. Still a good close range hunting weapon though.

14. Member

She he likes the old 742 in .30-06 because of the larger bullet compared to the .243 she used to use. We have 50 acres of native grasses on part of my farm and it is easy to lose deer.
    My dad has carried a 742 '06 since I was about 10 years old despite having several loading and jamming issues through the years. I've used it a few times, even shot a deer with it but I've never cared for that weapon at all. Can she shoot that thing off-hand? It just feels like a tank compared to my mtn. rifle.

Have fun with the search. I thought my daughter would get excited about a new black gun last fall but she surprised me wanting to go with a M77 and traditional wood stock

Isn't a 7.63x39 basically a .308? I would think it would be better than a 100 yard gun.
    7.62x39 is most definitely NOT a 308. While 7.62 is .30 caliber, the X39 is shorter and carries less powder than a 308. The 7.62x39 is ballistically close to a .30-30 and .300 Blackout (supersonic).

How far is she shooting? If under 200yds you may look into a 300 blackout. Can be built on an AR15 receiver set and will be much less weight and recoil and will drop a deer up to 200yds with no issue. They do a number on pigs as well.
    2004 210 Blazer Pro-V
    2013 250 Merc Pro XS (wingmaster)Sn: 2B009365

tjrou2005@yahoo.com

AR's are great guns and a ton of fun to shoot. However, they make terrible hunting rifles.

I have both 556 and 308. I plannned on hunting with my 308, and will some day.

The bolt gun in better in every situation, lighter, more stealth and safer to load unload in the blind.

With the AR 10 - you have to chamber a round by the truck and climb in the stand with a loaded rifle or risk making a bunch of noise in the stand.

Take a look at the 7mm-08
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    AR's are great guns and a ton of fun to shoot. However, they make terrible hunting rifles.

I have both 556 and 308. I plannned on hunting with my 308, and will some day.

The bolt gun in better in every situation, lighter, more stealth and safer to load unload in the blind.

With the AR 10 - you have to chamber a round by the truck and climb in the stand with a loaded rifle or risk making a bunch of noise in the stand.

Take a look at the 7mm-08
    OK, so while I have never hunted with my AR and only use a bolt or lever gun I can't see this being true. Perhaps an AR-10 is heavier than my Savage 110 but my AR-15 doesn't seem to be. My AR is shorter with its 16" barrel which is why I am thinking about getting a 300 Blackout upper. Also, I can see no reason why one would need to climb into a stand with a loaded AR. Load the magazine, and put it in your pocket. I assume your concern centers around the noise of letting the bolt slam forward. Well, I always try to get in early enough that I have settled and quiet for at least 30 minutes before I can shoot if not sooner. Also, you don't need to slam it foward. You can ease it forward and then use the forward assist to make sure that the round is completely chambered. Unloading it on stand is at least as easy as with my blind magazine equipped Savage of a lever gun where one has to cycle each round out to completely unload the gun. With the AR I can drop the magazine and then only have to cycle the action once to clear the gun. I guess I might have an issue and drop that round but I've done that with bolt and lever guns so there's no different there IMO.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    OK, so while I have never hunted with my AR and only use a bolt or lever gun I can't see this being true. Perhaps an AR-10 is heavier than my Savage 110 but my AR-15 doesn't seem to be. My AR is shorter with its 16" barrel which is why I am thinking about getting a 300 Blackout upper. Also, I can see no reason why one would need to climb into a stand with a loaded AR. Load the magazine, and put it in your pocket. I assume your concern centers around the noise of letting the bolt slam forward. Well, I always try to get in early enough that I have settled and quiet for at least 30 minutes before I can shoot if not sooner. Also, you don't need to slam it foward. You can ease it forward and then use the forward assist to make sure that the round is completely chambered. Unloading it on stand is at least as easy as with my blind magazine equipped Savage of a lever gun where one has to cycle each round out to completely unload the gun. With the AR I can drop the magazine and then only have to cycle the action once to clear the gun. I guess I might have an issue and drop that round but I've done that with bolt and lever guns so there's no different there IMO.
    I would think you would just unload the chamber of your Savage bolt gun and then push the next cartridge down a bit and slide the bolt forward instead of unloading the whole magazine.

I would think you would just unload the chamber of your Savage bolt gun and then push the next cartridge down a bit and slide the bolt forward instead of unloading the whole magazine.
    You can and I have done it but I'd still consider it safer to completely unload it. I was pointing out what is require to have an unloaded rifle. Empty chamber and loaded magazine is not unloaded IMO. But the point is, unloading an AR is not complicated.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast