Thread: Transom Repair

Transom Repair

Anyone have any advice on transom replacement? 1995 F-20 Astro Looking at what costs could be. Is this a common problem on these boats?

You will have to cut the back deck to access the transom. Its a big job to tackle with a ton of labor, but if you do the work yourself it can save you big money. You might be able to separate the top cap but I am not certain on your model.

3. Member
    It's not that common of a problem with that model, but it can happen with any boat. There a guy here that replaced a transome in a 20' skeeter and charged 1900 bucks. Looks to be a very good job with a good warranty. Transome repair usually cost 1500-3k.

4. Member
    Just turned it in to my Insurance so I guess we will see what happens from here. KY lake over the weekend took its toll on it in 4' waves must have hit something as there is damage to skag, underside by pad, marks on bullet of lower unit, and prop took a hit slightly. Love this boat so I am hopeful they dont consider it a total loss. Not a good feeling when the water is coming in through the transom and you still have 15 miles to get back to ramp! Never felt it either but then like I said it was 3-4' waves in 25 MPH winds on KY lake.

5. Member
    Good luck with it. If they total it you may wanna see if you can buy it back and have it repaired. That's an awesome boat, runs and fishes very good.

6. Member
    You know anyone that maybe interested in any lids, deck extension, or anything other than a transom lol. Its totaled and it will cost in excess of 8K to fix so I am just going to cut my losses and try to recoup what I can. Didnt you say you had a buddy restoring one?
    What do you think of the 205 V Procraft? there's one locally for sale here