Spark plug greese

Any of you guys apply spark plug greese to your spark plugs on the ends the wires go on ?

2. Member
    never have, what would be the purpose for doing that ?

3. Member
    Never have, the plugs don't stay in that long anyway. Change them every year

4. Member
    When I was winterizing my boat in the fall I found what looked like a light liquid rust up inside the plug wire and a tiny bit on the plug

5. Scraps
    Hmmm. Moisture in a plug boot is not a good thing. The grease is dielectric grease used to aid the contact between wire and plug. It may also be intended to protect against the situation you have, to displace any moisture in the boot that could get between the plug cap and the end of the spark plug. Just don't understand how you're seeing rust instead of electrolytic corrosion between differing metals.

I always put a dab of grease on the end of the plug before putting the boot back on. On the end of the plug, not on the boot.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Hmmm. Moisture in a plug boot is not a good thing. The grease is dielectric grease used to aid the contact between wire and plug. It may also be intended to protect against the situation you have, to displace any moisture in the boot that could get between the plug cap and the end of the spark plug. Just don't understand how you're seeing rust instead of electrolytic corrosion between differing metals.

I always put a dab of grease on the end of the plug before putting the boot back on. On the end of the plug, not on the boot.
    Same here, but I also put a small dab of dielectric grease on the inside of the boot before attaching to plug. Ensures plug boot does not stick to plug.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Yes. I use Dielectric grease also
    1986 Glasstream 150 XR2,SN OA933978, 24p Trophy Plus,"no jackplate" NO idle stabilizer until 04/13/21 put it back on UPDATE took it back off and use new S&L settings

8. Member
    Don't use it like I said but suggest using the Dielectric grease on the other electrical connectors like connections on your instrument panel. Also when I remove my spark pluga I put some heat from my propane torch to remove the carbon build up. Plugs work like new again. I do this a couple times a year.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatabata View Post
    Don't use it like I said but suggest using the Dielectric grease on the other electrical connectors like connections on your instrument panel. Also when I remove my spark pluga I put some heat from my propane torch to remove the carbon build up. Plugs work like new again. I do this a couple times a year.
    If you have carbon buildup like that going on, you've got an issue.