Thread: 859 DI Freezing

859 DI Freezing

My HB 859DI froze then faded to white on engine start-up this morning. Voltage was 12.8. Tried to reboot but buttons didn't work. Pulled the power plug and rebooted. Worked fine for two minutes then froze again. I have rebooted several times and the longest it's stayed running is 15 minutes on simulator mode. Plugged into the charger as I type and still won't stay on. Voltage is 13.2. Cleaned all connectors and replaced 3 amp fuse. Have a tournament in two weeks and need to get this resolved. Any ideas?

I've heard of a few occasions where something in the main motor seems to be damaging the unit when cranking .... not sure if that's the case with yours or not. If you have 2 locations, maybe try to power it from the other location or put it on a power supply in the house and see what happens.

Otherwise you may have to give Humminbird a call.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Member
    Pulled the unit off the boat and put it on a lawnmower battery. No change. I guess it's going back to humminbird.

4. Member
    Might try resetting factory defaults if you haven't tried and removing any cards in the unit before powering up.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    I just restored all default settings and pulled the card. It ran flawlessly for 15 minutes, then froze again. What a pain.

6. Member
    Resurrecting this thread...Just received the unit back from Humminbird in less than a week. Even though my unit was outside of the warranty period, they fixed it at no charge. They repaired/replaced the circuit board according to the tech's notes.

Reloaded all waypoints and ran the unit on an external battery for an hour with no issues. Reinstalled in the boat and ran it over the weekend. Within 15 minutes the unit shutdown and rebooted. This happened several times throughout the trip. Probably every 5-15 minutes. Didn't seem to matter if i was running with voltage near 14.5 or idling around at 12.6. Got home and ran in the driveway for over an hour without rebooting.

Tried it again last night and had it shutdown a handful of times over a 2 hour period. The unit is fused through a terminal block under the console. Moved the fuse to a different slot in the terminal block and rebooted - still shutting down. Pulled the Navionics card and rebooted. The unit shut down again after 15 minutes.

Almost seems like a loose connection, but I've tightened all connection points. At this point I'm not sure what to do other than to send it back in again.

Run a wire direct to the battery with and inline fuse and see what happens .... sure sounds like an intermittent connection.

8. Member
    Is it possible I'm getting some unregulated voltage from my new Yamaha SHO? The unit works fine when the engine is off the boat and hooked up to a lawnmower battery. I've tested it for 3 straight nights for several hours at a time without a hitch.

As soon as its placed into the same circuit as the engine its starts shutting down and freezing. Voltage does not seem to be intermittent as all my other electronics and pumps are wired to the same terminal fuse block and never turn off or display any signs of low/intermittent voltage. I recently ran 8 gauge wire straight from the battery to the terminal block. Other than showing less voltage drop from the battery, I'm still having the same issues. Voltage at the unit is 12.5 to 14.5 depending on whether the engine is off or on.

Would a voltage stabilizer potentially help this issue? Seems like a band aid, but I'm running out of ideas.

9. Member
    As Bob suggested, wire it straight to the battery. Run a temporary power to the battery and see If that doesn't help. If it still has issues then the battery may have issues under a load

Have you called Humminbird customer service to see if they have heard of this before ..... it's a new one on me.

11. Member
    I spoke with Humminbird for the second time last week. They were adamant that I not return the unit and that their technicians perform extensive tests before sending it back out to me. He suggested I wait and try an AC power cord that they would send. Against my better judgement I waited to receive the cord and got it this past weekend. I've tested the unit for three straight days and its failed each day. Sometimes it freezes within an hour sometimes ot takes three hours. I think my tests on the lawnmower battery weren't long enough for the unit to malfunction. Once it freezes up, I reboot the unit and each subsequent reboot stays on for less time than the last. I believe this is definitive evidence that there is nothing wrong with the power supply on my boat.

I should've gone with my gut and sent it back in two weeks ago. Now I'm without the unit for another weekend. Will call this morning and see how quickly they can turn it around.

12. Member
    It may be a long shot but make sure all map cards are out and export all your waypoints to an ad card and delete all waypoints from unit.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    It may be a long shot but make sure all map cards are out and export all your waypoints to an ad card and delete all waypoints from unit.
    Already tried it. No cards in the unit. Received it back from humminbird with no waypoints. Humminbird does not want it back. Just spoke with customer service and they want me to format all navigation directories. Sure looks like humminbird did that for me when they sent it back without waypoints. I think I'm going to send it back anyway. Tired of troubleshooting for weeks on end. Not impressed with customer service right now.