Thread: VRO

Cajun Boats/MN Fishing Reports Moderator DJ from MN's Avatar

VRO

Have searched high and low but can't find it. There used to be an article in the Johnny/rude section that kinda went "if all else fails blame it on the VRO. Want to print it and give it to a guy that insists all his problems are caused by the VRO. He says he has disconnected it and it still runs rough at idle. 40HP, I'm guessing late 70's early 80's

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

3. Member
    If it is late 70's early 80's the VRO will not be a problem-did not have them back then.

4. Cajun Boats/MN Fishing Reports Moderator DJ from MN's Avatar
    That's it Fred. Thanks, you the man. DJ

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    If it is late 70's early 80's the VRO will not be a problem-did not have them back then.
    Always nice to toss in some folks face Mate!! Cheers!

6. Member
    Not sure what you mean ChampioNman, I was just pointing out that if the guy says his problem is due to a VRO and if in fact it is as DJ said a late 70's or early 80's 40HP it will not be so. If it does have one you would be wise to show him the article.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Huey,
    I think he wanted it more to pipe someone down and wanted it for reference. You know how dock talk is. Yes I agree with you the motor was not equipped with a VRO. He did say he wasn't sure of the year of the motor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Huey,
    I think he wanted it more to pipe someone down and wanted it for reference. You know how dock talk is. Yes I agree with you the motor was not equipped with a VRO. He did say he wasn't sure of the year of the motor.
    Understand Sir and I tend to find the best way to pipe down uninformed dock talk is with facts. As I mentioned IF this engine is of this vintage then an easy pipe down because as you well know that age did not have such a part so can not be due to this. All good my end.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

10. Cajun Boats/MN Fishing Reports Moderator DJ from MN's Avatar
    So glad your on top of it Huey?....The damn motor has a VRO. SO with your superior knowledge you tell me what year it might be. I give up. I only saw the motor one time about 10 years ago when he couldn't get it running after storage and I went over and got it going for him

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ from MN View Post
    So glad your on top of it Huey?....The damn motor has a VRO. SO with your superior knowledge you tell me what year it might be. I give up. I only saw the motor one time about 10 years ago when he couldn't get it running after storage and I went over and got it going for him
    1985 or newer.

Actually the first VRO was introduced in 1984 on the V4 and V6 motors.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Actually the first VRO was introduced in 1984 on the V4 and V6 motors.
    Yep,,and most if not all 40 hp thru the 80's and I believe into the 90's had a standard pulse pump. A model number sure would tell a lot. But to get back to the original OP's inquiry, VRO is blamed way to much for motor issues that just has nothing to do with it. Very reliable system. Sounds like the owner of the 40HP has something else wrong,,,,,
    Last edited by omcforever; 04-09-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

14. Member
    Did not know that and the ones we have still running around down here did not and I personally have not seen a VRO/VRO2 or OMS system with a seperate "huff/puff" lift pump as well-they had pulse limiters or very early models had flame arrestors. I agree a model number would be good because I thought we were talking a 40HP and why I said 1985 plus, but with hindsight not sure why i even bothered to post my first reply about IF it was the vintage it was first stated it will not be the VRO at fault- whether I am on top of it or not I have no clue what that means.
    Last edited by Huey; 04-10-2017 at 01:17 AM.