Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black Ranger...Advice Needed

Considering a new 2017 z521c that is black with silver/red. Is it going to be a nightmare keeping the black boat looking good? I fish several days a week. Will the black be a problem down the road showing use and possible heat problems from the sun? I've seen some SHARP black rigs posted on here. Thanks.

2. Member
    Here's my 2 cents ............. Black is very sharp looking when clean. But, shows dirt like a white boat will. Also, scratches tend to be light colored making them very visible.
    I've had both black and while boats, but now have silver metallic.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Water spots would drive you crazy around here.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    I have only had black Rangers and love them for looks but BigBassAl is dead on. Hot and show everything. If you want ease of care go white. I buy slick mist by the case, seriously,
    Attached Images Attached Images

My previous boat was mostly black (but not a Ranger). The biggest problem I had with how it looked was dust (I live on a gravel road). It will show scratches more but you can take a black sharpie and color in the line of scratch and they will disappear. The black would hide things like the water line unless you got close to it.

I think it needed to be waxed more often than a lighter color, which I thought might have to do with black absorbing more heat, but I actually didn't find it to be that hot and I think maybe it had to do with the flake in it. There were days when I couldn't hold the steering wheel very long but I could rest my hand on the gunnel. It had a light grey carpet in it and I think carpet color plays a big role in how hot a boat seems. And by waxing more often I mean every 2 or 3 months (and I fish about 4 days a week on average).

I don't always wipe my boat down when I pull it out of the water because in 5 to 15 min I'll be heading down my gravel road so I'd have to wipe it down when I got home (which I also don't always do). So if you wipe it down after use it might not need to be waxed as often. My boat never really looked like it needed waxed but you could feel that it did if you ran your hand over it.

If I didn't live on a gravel I'd own another black or mostly black boat.

6. Member
    I think nothing looks as sharp as a black/grey/red boat, but nothing is harder to keep looking nice than those colors. Well, the black part. I have a white boat for the most part and the only time mine looks bad is if I fish muddy water. I wax/slick mist often and mine stays looking great. The inside and gunnels are grey metallic and I find that even that color in the middle of the summer will scald you at times. The outside of my boat being white makes it very easy to take care of. The bottom of my boat is black and I can see every single scratch and imperfection, but you have to stand on your head for that. When in the water and sitting on the trailer, you would say my boat is white and I really have enjoyed that color.

7. Member
    I have a dark grey charcoal boat. Super easy to keep clean. Only wipe down about half of the time.
    Last boat was white, now that was a nightmare to clean. Always had to scrub off a water line or it looked like crap.

8. Member
    Had a choice between a red/silver black/grey Ranger last year. Went with the red because black is one hard color to keep clean. Also holds the heat really well on a sunny day.

9. Member
    I had a Black and Blue Procraft many years ago. Totally agree on the scratch comments. It did look great when clean, but I was washing it all the time to match my black tow vehicle.

Other than keeping it clean, it certainly was extraordinarily hot to touch in the summer sun.

I used to fish black and blue jig and pigs a lot so I had to have a boat to match.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Water spots would drive you crazy around here.
    And pollen here, especially for the next couple months. That'd hold serve in my previous residence of WV and I suspect in most places where the trees lose their leaves and the spring warm up comes quickly.

But man do those black boats look SHARP when they're all shined up.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Mines black as well and love this color. Turns heads and you'll get lots of comments at the ramp and at the gas station...
    IMG_0472.jpgIMG_0496 (1).jpg

12. Member
    I have a black boat for 3 years now. Not that big of deal keeping clean. I do wipe down after every use and wax twice a year.

13. Member
    I have one, I don't notice it being especially hot. My nemesis are water spots. I will be giving the protect product a try and hope that it will help. I have used Bass Boat Saver as long as I have had this boat. it does a good job of keeping it clean but I have to use a water spot remover before I wax it which is every spring and usually 4th of July weekend.
    Just another beer drinker with a fishing problem.

I've had my black boat almost 2 weeks now and it's a bitch to keep clean but it looked badass when I picked it up at the dealer.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Pro-tec will make it easy to keep the boat clean.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

16. Member
    I have a black Intracoastal with blue Comanche stripes, but the top of the boat, minus the consoles is white. And like bassnman81 stated, Pro-tec polish does help.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

17. Member
    I'm going to say don't do it. I fish an average of 4 days a week and it's just too hard to maintain long term. I have owned about all colors. Bottom black is fine but sides and top not so much. White, silver, or gunmetal are easier.

18. Member
    I have a 2016 520c black w/copper flake..real head turner..including mine when it's the slightest bit dirty. But I'd do it again in a second!!!! It's work, but well worth it. I use the Protec program. Treat her in the spring, then wipe her down and spray after every outing. Coat her again before she goes away. It's your personal preference, but brand new... Your gonna baby it anyway. Why not get what colour you want, and work with it.
    My 2 cents

No big deal keeping it clean, but interior is metallic silver, so not any hotter than any other boat color. Pro-tec and slick mist do the job easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

20. Member
    My last Ranger was black. My current Ranger is white with silver inside deck. Black is hot. Both will show dirt but I wipe the boat down at the ramp after every trip. The biggest problem with white is that the Guntersville gnats are addicted to it! My next boat will be white with graphite trim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast