Shotgun question

In the market for a new shotgun and was wondering how much advantage a 20" barrel would give me over say a 26 or 28? Gun would see 80% of its use chasing coyotes and the other 20% turkey hunting

2. Member
    Shorter barrel would be a necessity if you were mainly gonna use it for coyote hunting. I am an avid coyote hunter and a shorter barrel for maneuvering is very nice.

3. Member
    That's what I was leaning towards, but what kind of velocity/range will I be giving up for the 20"? is it enough to really notice?

4. Member
    Most turkey guns have shorter barrels and are meant for killing Turkeys at long range. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Member
    There is a couple factors to consider. Total length of the gun and what your main target will be. It took me several years to learn a shorter bbl is not always better. I shot skeet for years with 28-30" bbls. Would swap over to my duck gun and miss the hell out of them at times. Talked to a friend and he said put your duck gun up next to you skeet gun and measure. Full 8". So, I traded for a gun with a length close to my skeet gun. Swing felt so much better and I improved my kill ratio on ducks. Seems like a no brainer but it does effect your success. Second, if the main use of the gun is on turkeys or coyotes, the quick swing factor of a shorter gun will make a difference. Just make sure it is choked correctly for the bore size. Most new guns today come back bored.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

6. Member
    Old 870 pump will kill any of em
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

For coyote or turkey, 20" works great. I doubt you would see any significant decrease in velocity over a long barrel, as shotgun powder is fast-burning. For moving targets (duck, quail, pheasant, etc.), I like a 26" or 28" barrel. The extra weight on the end helps follow-through on moving shots.

Just a word of advice on short-barreled shotguns...duck blinds are not the place for them. I have permanent hearing damage in my left ear from a guy that thought his short barreled, ported turkey gun would be great for duck hunting. Lesson learned the hard way...I have that conversation early with any potential blind-mate now...and wear hearing protection always.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Old 870 pump will kill any of em
    My old 870 express is a machine. Love that gun. Best $150 I ever spent.

9. Member
    You want a DP-12! Oh yeaaaahhhh... Arnold would have done NICE with that puppy!

Kept telling my wife I needed one, didn't work. BUT.... she told me to buy a bass boat so I'm not complaining.

http://www.stdgun.com/dp-12-double-b...h-the-works-2/
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

10. Banned
    You'd have a hard time getting close enough to a coyote around here to use a shotgun.