520 or 521??? I need your advice!

I plan to purchase a 2017 520 or 521. I spent two hours today with a tape measure on the two boats. The front deck configuration is completely different on the two boat. I'm at the coin flip stage. I normally fish 4-5 times a week at southern lakes such as Guntersville, Pickwick, Wheeler, etc... Half the time, two people are fishing and the other half we have three people fishing. I'm 6'5" and my son is 6'6". I don't tournament fish. I normally put in close to the fishing area. No long runs. If it's windy or rough, I stay home. Any advice?

2. Member

RangerRodney recently posted the measurements for both boats and if I remember correctly, the Z520 had a wider front deck.

Migs

5. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBassAL View Post
    I plan to purchase a 2017 520 or 521. I spent two hours today with a tape measure on the two boats. The front deck configuration is completely different on the two boat. I'm at the coin flip stage. I normally fish 4-5 times a week at southern lakes such as Guntersville, Pickwick, Wheeler, etc... Half the time, two people are fishing and the other half we have three people fishing. I'm 6'5" and my son is 6'6". I don't tournament fish. I normally put in close to the fishing area. No long runs. If it's windy or rough, I stay home. Any advice?
    520 has the wider front deck and is faster...................521 will stroll along like a Cadillac and handles the rough stuff (rough water) a little better..................You can't really go wrong with either. I like you am 6'5" and I wanted the wider front deck and the little extra at WOT.................I went with the 20'er.........................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

6. Member
    Three people go 521. You sacrifice speed for deck space

7. Member
    I went 521 because I like the storage space layout. I'm a tackle whore and like the extra space.
    And the ride in the rough stuff is incredible.!!
    Ed

8. Member
    I fish the same lakes as you. I often have 3 in my boat with high school fishing team. Either is fine and I love my 520c when the trolling motor is in the water.

9. Member
    I went with the 520 as I don't need the extra foot, and I like the deck space on the 520. I didn't really think about storage as the 520 has plenty for me. I love the ride of either boat. But in the end you will have to weigh out what your primary use is going to be and buy what you think will work the best for you.

I've spent quite a bit of time in both...the 521 will ride a little better, but that wide 520 deck is great. The 521 has a huge deck too, just not quite as wide all the way forward. Both boats can fish three experienced anglers easy! I never like more than two guys slinging crankbaits or anything with trebles anyway. Storage is massive on both boats. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    I went with the 520 as I don't need the extra foot, and I like the deck space on the 520. I didn't really think about storage as the 520 has plenty for me. I love the ride of either boat. But in the end you will have to weigh out what your primary use is going to be and buy what you think will work the best for you.
    This is my thoughts exactly. You cannot go wrong with either model.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    521 is a great ride and no matter which model you buy you wont find a better fishing platform in any boat, sure there are faster boats but they have a lot of things that are not Ranger quality, i have looked over many boats but when it comes down to it i will take my Ranger over all the rest, the 521 rides like a cadillac, has tons of storage, its a little bit narrower up front but you can fish 3 easily and its stable, leg room is the best out there. im 6'6 285 and i have more room than any boat i sat in at the classic, my wife and I went through every boat there over 3 days. Ranger is built to last and thats why I bought one. 250 pro xs with the 10 atlas and fury 4 works out great good stern lift,adequate bow lift, good hole shot, and you will run 68 to 70 all day long. Trailer is over engineered like a sherman tank and tracks amazing, yuo will not be disappointed in either model you choose, go for a ride in both and then make your choice, you get what you pay for with Ranger and they are the staple in the industry every other manufacturers seem to follow and copy. Thank you Forrest L Wood.

13. Member
    I took the 520 basically because I run big water and research says it runs a little better/quicker in rough water. With your situation and conditions you like to fish, I also would say the 521 is better to suite what you are looking for. Can't go wrong either way